Sign in to follow this  

Starting troubles

I have a 02 yz250f and i live in mn and i am having a hard time starting it. Do you have any suggestions as to what i can do or what i should be doing to get the thumpa runnin

Try blipping the throttle a couple of times to give it some juice.

If your bike hasn't been started in a few days, blip the throttle once to prime the accelerator pump. Other than that, never touch the throttle when starting. Do a search for the starting drill , or visit ThumperFaq.com.

Doug

I've read another post where someone said they went to a larger size starter jet to account for the cold weather. You should do a search in either this forum or the North forum for "Starter Jet".

"I've read another post where someone said they went to a larger size starter jet to account for the cold weather"

That is a horrible idea kzoo. The bike is rich anyways, and if you do that you will only make it worse. And if you live in MN which is probably over 2000ft. you might even go leaner. That is true unless it is under 0 degrees, which then you probably wouldn't be riding anyways. I'm at about 4000ft. and I have a little lean problem when I start the bike up when she's cold, but that all goes away once she's warm. I think the problem is that you are either loosing compression, or your valves are out of spec. The odds are that your valves are out of spec, because only the bikes that were abused or tortured will need a rebuild after three or less years. I don't think the problem is jetting. I know that digging into the top-end isn't what you wanted to hear, but I suggest it. Do a search of checking the clearence of valves. It shouldn't be too hard.

I second what KZOO says. Does it start and run for only a second or two ? Does it do this several times? Did it start just fine when the weather was warm? Have you been routinly starting it during the cold months with no problem and just started haveing these troubles ? Were your valves within spec the last time you checked ?