Sign in to follow this  

Bike Break In

10-15 minutes run thru all the gears easily. Take an intermission to let it cool down. 10-15 minutes more of running thru the gears. Cool Down. Than ride it like I stole it?

Typical break in method. Anyone have anything to add or something else I should do? Thanks guys :)

theres the other method.....run it like hell for a while....ive never had a problem doing it that way

Nooooooo.......don't baby it! You want to do four main things for break in of the piston and rings....

1. Use FULL THROTTLE openings, twist that sucker wide open!

2. DO NOT over rev it, i.e., don't let it hit the rev limiter.

3. DO NOT "lug" the motor way low in the rpm range

4. Let the engine braking slow you down, don't pull the clutch in when stopping, and downshift as you slow to keep the engine rpm's in the middle of the rev range.

Now you need to go back out and break it in that way, you might have gotten lucky trying the "easy" way, you might still have a chance to seat the rings properly.

Forget what the owners manual says about break in, that just lawyer legalese... :)

I have an 05' CRF250R in the garage waiting for a break in the weather for breakin. How long before it is considered broken in using the ride it hard but not @ the rev limiter method?

Thanks

Chris

Ok Rap I'll take your advice. Full Throttle. Balls to the wall but don't hit the rev limiter. How long should I run thru all the gears?

The way your doing it is called cycleing.It is done on 2 strokes not 4.Listen to the people that say run it hard,Yeah thats the ticket. :) .Just keep off the rev limiter.

Ok Rap I'll take your advice. Full Throttle. Balls to the wall but don't hit the rev limiter. How long should I run thru all the gears?

I just go out and ride a normal 15-20 minute session on the track then just check the oil levels, bolts, nuts, and spokes, etc.. Basically, ride normal. Then one more session like that. So 2 sessions...and change the oil after break in to flush the metal all new bikes are going to get in them from the break in process...

...Then go ride the piss out of it :)

Myself and my family have a total of 11 bikes 3 KTM, 1 Suzuki, 7 Honda's, and they were all broken-in the same way HARD from the very start but than again I like to ride everything hard just ask my wife. :)

10-15 minutes run thru all the gears easily. Take an intermission to let it cool down. 10-15 minutes more of running thru the gears. Cool Down. Than ride it like I stole it?

Typical break in method. Anyone have anything to add or something else I should do? Thanks guys :)

Here's what I did. 380 miles and zero oil useage.

Thats weird. Honda' seem to break-in completely differently than Yamaha's.

For my YZF, your supposed to keep it in the lower gears and at no more than 1/2 throttle openings for like a half hour.

Honda says basically the same thing....except that is the "CYA" method....it is NOT a good way to break in the engine if you want maximum power and no oil consumption.

Forget what the manual says. Break it in the "hard" way and it will run better and burn less oil. :)