Sign in to follow this  

elbows too far down?

imo, very low. You want your elbows up so you can react quickly. With your elbows in that position, it takes more out of you to jerk the bike around.

I was thinking the same, I have the bars on my XR400 lots higher & more forward

the xr felt wierd, but I did feel better after riding for a while

i have the same problem carrying them too low but i always end up feeling like i'm going over the bars when i try to ride with them up.

I too have found that my riding "form" has gotten sloppy over the years, I have to remind myself all the time to correct my "form", and when I do, it does help my riding.

You might want to rotate the bars forward a little bit, so that your grip isn't so far underneeth you. I felt the same way standing up until i really started playing with my bars and body position. Once i got comfortable in the "attack" position, standing, i found that my bars forward a bit more (i'm 6' 4", on an XR400) helped me ride. Also, staying on the gas is a good way to remind you to keep that weight forward. I've yet to take pictures of my body position, but i feel like my shoulders are over the handle bars when i ride.

Find a picture of a guy like Johnney Cambell and mimic that position. Look straight down at your fender and put a sticker at the bottom of your field of view. Every time you're riding, look down for that sticker and use it as a refrence of where your body should be. By having a refrence point you'll be able to better adjust your body position by trying different ones, and knowing what you're adjusting.

How do my arms look in this photo

elbows too far down?

Yeah, Just a bit. Practice getting them up a bit but watch hitting trees with the elbows.

Dwight

I put on some pro taper high woods bars, I like them so far, but dont have a photo of me riding with them yet, hopefully soon, they are more forward, higher, and I seemed to stand up lots more riding, more comfortable standing now

not used to the narrow width, and I think I bent the left side forward already :)