Best Tires for Clear Creek

I am starting this thread in here because I will be asked over and over in the WR450 forum what kind of soil I am riding on and who would know better but the riders who actually go there.

I would like to use Maxxis tires if possible, currently I am running the stock set on my 05 WR450 and would like to order another set before this weekend.

Thanks for the help

-Rich-

my S-12s rear work miracles on the DRZ, Rear is grerat year round from the desert to the sea to the woods, though the s-12 front washes out on hard summer dirt. I do have a new 140 HUGE Maxxis tire for the 510 when the stocker wears down. the bead on that maxxis is like a steel rail its so tough..that has to be a hard tire to mount. More knobs then the S-12. so I wonder if its gonna feel more like a running board then a hook up sweet tire like the s-12......... well its worth a try....the maxxis should last long, that thing is tough..

After trying out quite a few tires I've pretty much settled on Dunlops.

I pretty much stay with the 756 in the rear. For all the different terrain conditions I can hit in one ride this tire seems to have the best versatility. It really seems to work well everywhere as compared to a specialized soft-terrain or hard-terrain tire. Also, I have yet to chunk the knobs off one of these as I have with quite a few others (IRC, Michelin, Kenda, etc.).

Up front I run either a 756 or 742. Both seem to work really well for me, but the 742 I've become more and more comfortable with. Just like the 756 rears, the 742 seems to work great everywhere.

As for IRC and Kenda, it only took one tire for me to realize they're not for me. I ripped the knobs of these in one ride.

The Michelin S12 is a wonderful tire when the conditions are softer. I love this tire in the soft-terrain. Boy does it hook-up well, but when the conditions are a little harder I'm not a fan. Too much sliding for me in the intermediate to hard terrain situations. I've also had issue with tearing off the knobs on these things when riding rocky places.

As for Michelin front tires, no way. I don't like them. I wouldn't run them if I got them for free. Same with those M12 rear tires they sell. That M12 is the worse thing I've ever run period.

I've never tried a Maxxis so I can't really comment on those, but I can say that I'm a little hesitant to try one because of knowing what brand they're from (Chen Shin). Although, I do hear good things about the Maxxis tires from my competitors. They're getting pretty popular now days.

Don't listen to Blue - he can't even figure out what bike he should ride!! ?

The 756 is a real good front tire - I use either it or the S12 for the front and always a S 12 rear. The S 12 front will hook up most conditions even when worn - where the 756 is like a light switch - when it's worn it is unusable - it slides all over the place - the 756 has a stiffer sidewall than the S12 - less flats - even though I've only hade 1 flat in the last 4 years using the S 12.

dp

I was running a S12 front and a Maxxis IT on the rear. The Maxxis works great on the dry rocky stuff and lasts longer than a Bridgestone M402, but loads up way too easily in the mud. I also found that the front S12 chunked rather quickly when I rode in anything but mud or loam. I am currently running a Dunlop 756 on the front and a IRC M5B on the rear with excellent results. I'm told by others that when the tall knobs of an M5B wear down, they make a pretty good summer tire as well. ?

true about rocks after the s-12 is worn some - my s-12 rear and front showed some knobs bitting after the rocks we rode pretty quickly over at CC last time and the Georgetown rock face dancing got em too some....mild loose rocks in soil fine but hard in place rock dancing gets to them, only after they are half worn, early on they were fine in my experience.

yes, Got the maxxis from motexotica.... it was my call he had other tires, I get 20% off for a while so i decided to try the maxxis..........my 510 comes with the bigger 140 tire stock... unlike my DRZ which wore the 130

I was running a S12 front and a Maxxis IT on the rear. The Maxxis works great on the dry rocky stuff and lasts longer than a Bridgestone M402, but loads up way too easily in the mud. I also found that the front S12 chunked rather quickly when I rode in anything but mud or loam. I am currently running a Dunlop 756 on the front and a IRC M5B on the rear with excellent results. I'm told by others that when the tall knobs of an M5B wear down, they make a pretty good summer tire as well. ?

Thank you, I thought maybe that maxxis to load with mud, so I ain't putting on till May. My stocker is real open. people say its a weird eco? tire but screw em. It works fine been in mud and rocks all good

I just came from Maxxis website and they recommend for soft conditions like CC using the Maxxis ST, I have never heard of them before and I have yet to find a dealer online that has a set.

here's a link, thanks for all the help. I plan on replacing these this weekend if I can find some

Maxxis claims the tire is specially mAde to shake off mud and debris

http://www.maxxis.com/products/motorcycle/product_detail.asp?id=166

I'm told by others that when the tall knobs of an M5B wear down, they make a pretty good summer tire as well. ?

I've got a stack of used rear tires that are great for the summer. It's so hard to throw them away, but I can never seem to use them all up to little knubs. I'd love to unload some of these for a super cheap price if anyone is interested.

I just came from Maxxis website and they recommend for soft conditions like CC using the Maxxis ST, I have never heard of them before and I have yet to find a dealer online that has a set.

The tire you're talking about is the SurCross. I have not run this tire but, I know a Clear Creek junkie who has, and his complaint was with the thin sidewall and a manzanita puncture. I understand the IT has 6 plys and is very durable and is safe to run at 8 psi.

I was running Maxxis IT's front and back for the past 3 years. I'm very happy with them, expect wet conditions. My 3 year old front IT was packing up with mud so I bought the new SI front tire. So far I like it. It tracks a little differently through the rocks, but nothing I can't get used to.

The rear tire holds up and works great for Clear Creek. This opinion brought to you by a "C" level rider.

Word of caution, the Maxis IT is a lot heavier than the 756. I had a Maxis IT on my 450 for a while and I was thinking my rear shock needed to be serviced, I had my suspension done and the rear end still felt like crap. I switched back to the 756 and I put them on a scale, the IT was 4 lbs. heavier than the 756, and it felt fine after that.

Three years on a tire? Not to tuff on your rubbers are you? Geeze, if only I could be such I might be a bit weathier.

I should of used a mileage value instead of time. I don't ride that much. ? I probably get about 1500 miles out of a set of tires. They are on a stock XR250, so not much wheel spin, and I'm slow rider. ?