Sign in to follow this  

S/A for a GasGas 280Pro

Alright, so I just joined the trials world. I'm looking to up my game in the enduros so I thought a good way to do that would be to learn trials. Last week I purchased a new 280Pro. It's an engineering marvel. I'm so impressed, but it needs a spark arrestor as so I can go ride it in the forest. Anyone here have any recomendations for me?

TXT280x700w.gif

TrialsRider, thanks for the reply. Do you know if the slip-on is USFS approved? Does it have the stampings?

Yes it should. Mine doesn't but the Forest Rangers haven't hassled me for that. I know theres a better picture of it around somewhere, Ill try to find it.

I use the same spark arrestor on 3 of my bikes.. The newest one I bought came with the USFS marking stamped into the metal. The older ones came with a label that came off. The screen is easy to see and will pass the standard field "stick" test. If a newbie official insists on going by the book and needs to see that label, it could be a hastle. But, you are legal.

I have been lucky and all of mine just wedged on to the tail pipe with no rivets or screws. And none of mine have the split end pipe connection. But I made sure to order the "Gas Gas Version".

The older ones came with a ring face that had 2 machine screws holing it. This made it very easy to remove and clean the screen without messing with the muffler to spark arrestor connection.

The new one is a one piece machined unit and is more difficult to remove the screen.. I use a thin flat feeler guage to help guide the screen out over the lip holding it in place.. Then I use a torch to burn off the carbon and gunk.

And congratulations on the new bike! :) Hook up with some other Trials Riders to get a good start in your quest for learning some of the "secrets" before you develop too many of the bad habits that plague most of us.. :)

Oh Yzwiley, While you are at it, I would buy the head pipe heat shield too. You will melt your pants on it soon if not already. I used to buy the carbon fiber versions, but now I have the metal version. I think Lewisport USA sells them. I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine, but then it was from his booth at the World Round in Duluth last June.

Oh yes, here it is... Yoomee Pipe Guard

I used to just wedge mine on, but I lost it riding one day. Its kinda funny because several months later we had a trial there and one of the guys found it buried in the sand. So now I put a rivet on the bottom where no one can see it. Just some extra protection.

I've also got an exhaust guard on order, defintley need it in the rocks. I noticed my leg gets pretty warm when I ride my 05 now :) . I would also invest in fork guards. I don't particularly like the ones that go up to the triple clamps, so I use the ones that just cover the forks.

2PLY, you going to Duluth this year? I might go if I have enough money :) . Haven't been to a world round since Donner.

2PLY, you going to Duluth this year? I might go if I have enough money :) . Haven't been to a world round since Donner.

I'm planning on it so far.. I usually go to help video tape the event for Ian Smith as part of the camera crew... If you bought any of the last 2 Duluth Trials TV DVD's you'll see he was nice enough to give me "Videographer" credit on the cover.. :)

With 4 or 5 cameras and Ian doing the final editing with music and all, I end up getting a MUCH better video of the event than I could shooting for myself. :p

Oh Yzwiley, While you are at it, I would buy the head pipe heat shield too. You will melt your pants on it soon if not already.

"Already" has happened. I'm glad I get free gear.

Thanks for the replies 2PLY and TrialsRider. You two have given me some good info. VERY much appreciated.

I received an email back from Lewisport. They didn't answer my question about the stamping, I guess I'll have to ask again.

So yzwiley has trials bike. Now I want to ride with you more than ever. I'll be bringing the Sherco.

Let me know when.