Sign in to follow this  

Stainless steel vs titanium

So I have a big gun full race exhaust on the bike. Now it has a big problem. The chrome in some of the areas has peeled right off. So its got bare metal showing, I'm sure that will rust through by the end of this season.

Anyways, should I just pick up another stainless steel pipe or should I consider titanium, like a yosh TI? Does the TI hold up better?

The big gun pipes are coated - ceramic?. Is it the coating that is peeling? If it is, call them and ask about warranty. How long have you had it?

Ti squishes real easy on rocks. Stainless steel holds up better but it don't make quite the hp the ti pipe does. You pay your money and take your chances. prairiedawg :)

Titanium is a very hard brittle metal. It tends to shatter more then squish. I also thought that stainless doesn't rust very well?

Depends on the grade of stainless the pipe maker uses. Even Yosh gets a bad batch sometimes.

Big Guns are ceramic coated inside and out, and it will come off. I think it's thin-walled mild steel tubing, so it will rust.

Ti is somewhat brittle when thin, makes a better street pipe IMHO. Unless you get your pipes free like the pros I'd go stainless.

my $.02

The big gun pipes are coated - ceramic?. Is it the coating that is peeling? If it is, call them and ask about warranty. How long have you had it?

like 3 years. no warranty.

I'm not worried about smashing the pipe off rocks. I don't ride that sort of terrain. I'm thinking more like does TI rust when pitted. Does TI rust at all?

Its mostly my fault for the pipe rusting. It happened in a spot where mud collects. My fault for not cleaning the moisture off soon enough.

In order to rust a material has to have iron in it, Ti contains no iron. A good quality stainless should never rust on a bike either, I've seen stainless fittings on a fishing boat (ocean) that have been around with no rust on them.

Only Iron and Steel rust. As you can see some "stainless steel" isn't very high grade and can still lightly rust. Ti is susceptable to oxidation in air at high temps. A good true stainless would be just about as good. Ti just has the super low weight though. :)

As far as the Big Gun goes go get some Mothers or Blue Magic metal polish. It will usually take the rust off if its fairly minor and leaves a protective coat that helps keep water at bay. Worked pretty well for my Big Gun.

Half price deal eh? maybe... Look like theres no time limit on that so I'll wait to see if the pipe goes sour.

I used mothers to polish the pipe, have done that since I bought it. Sureface junk comes right off...

...This however is what I'm talking about:

coatingpeeling.jpg

If you scrape the lighter gray area you can see what looks like rust starting.

Ohwell. Atleast it dosn't have a hole in it.

Only Iron and Steel rust. As you can see some "stainless steel" isn't very high grade and can still lightly rust.

Nate has it right. There are lots and lots of different types of stainless. One for every application. I used to work in a stainless steel mill and my metallurgical collaques used to say that very steel rusts but stainless rusts just slower :)

Stainless steel for exhaust contains usually about 16...18% of chrome and none of nickel. It's called ferritic stainless steel and I remember it was challencing to operate at continous casting machine.

With the prices between the SS vs Ti Yoshi being so close now, is there any reason not to go with the Ti ?, I'm sure I can make an adapter for the mid-point mount, but I'm not positive about the heat shield mounting, In the TT review the photos show a heat guard mounted to the Ti.

I'm thinking the weight savings and newer design testing should be worth the $75.00

Are you finding the Ti somewhere for $475?

I thought the cheapest SS Yoshi was $395 and the cheapest Ti was $500?

Either way, $100 extra for the Ti might be worth it to me.

Anyone running the Ti with the TEC inserts?

Let me know if you decide to go the Ti route, Id be willing to pay you for

the extra mounting hardware if you make a midpoint & heat shield adapter.

On your Muzzy Gyro, I think you can get it re-coated, there are a few companies

around that do it. Might find one local.

Eastcoast wheels has it for $500 yes, but with the TT 110% price deal, that should make $450.00, right ?

Not sure if it applies to special sale items, maybe. Worth a shot.

Sometimes its hard to beat all the stuff found on the net.

Actaully, I'm less concerned with the price, than I am with the performance and weight savings over the Stainless steel.

Is the Ti tuned for more RPM boost at the cost of low RPM tractablity than the SS or are the tuned the same?

Actaully, I'm less concerned with the price, than I am with the performance and weight savings over the Stainless steel.

Is the Ti tuned for more RPM boost at the cost of low RPM tractablity than the SS or are the tuned the same?

I think i remember burned saying that you get a lot more mid-top end with the TI, at the cost of a bit of low (compared to the SS). So yeah, the SS tuned for more low end than the TI, but less top end.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm jsut going from memory here and mine is notoriously bad

Well, I would love to check his previous posts, but he seem to be very prolific with over 18,000------that could take me years to find

I read this at LLNL:

"Titanium is as strong as steel but 45% lighter. It is 60% heavier than aluminum, but twice as strong."

Actually heavier than aluminum. Very interesting. Could it be that weve succombed to titanium pipe hype? As far as pipes of identical design, its silly to think that simply changing to titanium would create any legit power increase.

I read this at LLNL:

"Titanium is as strong as steel but 45% lighter. It is 60% heavier than aluminum, but twice as strong."

Actually heavier than aluminum. Very interesting. Could it be that weve succombed to titanium pipe hype? As far as pipes of identical design, its silly to think that simply changing to titanium would create any legit power increase.

You've got your figures a little skewed...it's 45 & 60...but...

Ti is 45% lighter than Steel but just as strong

Aluminum is 60% lighter than steel

I've had both Ti and SS pipes and there are several different reasons the two pipes perform different...it has nothing to do with the metal and everything to do with who the pipes were made for. The SS pipe is for the rider concerned with durability and longevity...the rider the Ti pipe was made for is after all out power and it was designed with that in mind. The Ti pipe has performance built into it via diameter changes throughout the whole pipe which increases the mid-top perf. The SS system is usually one diameter most of its length, which works well but does not give the increase up top. The Ti will dent easier but it still holds up to all but the most severe impacts. I've got 2 Ti pipes that came from factory racers and one is pretty dented up with marble size dents in the header, but there is no discernable power loss compared to the pristine other. Ti is a dream to keep clean as nothing will stick to it...even baked on mud will wash right off with just some hand wiping during the next washdown...Ti oxidizes in high heat applications but it does so with color! The higher the temp the different the color...that's where those awesome purple/blue/golds come from...SS was hard to keep clean and discolored easily... I enjoy the advantages of Ti and don't mind the weight break either! :naughty: Andrew