Sign in to follow this  

Loose sprocket bolts

I have a YZ450 and I keep losing my rear sprocket bolts. I've tried blue loctite and I check them for tightness as often as I check my spokes and still they keep coming off. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Curious, are you running the stock sprocket or an after-market sprocket?

You're lucky you still have a hub, they get toasted on Yamahas easily if the sprocket bolts come loose. This is a well known YZ problem. I would replace all the bolts with new ones, use the blue Loctite, and get them on there tight. As an alternative, you can run a Honda rear sprocket, but you have to use Honda sprocket bolts. Don'y know if that will help the problem, but they have a different seat on their bolts that may help prevent them from loosening. Never had my CRF bolts come loose, but I always had to check my YZ250s out.

I use red Loctite, have never had one come loose, and never have had to check them.

I'm hearing noise that the Ironman sprockets have some issues with the bolts coming loose. I run the product but have never had this problem. Although, a buddy of mine just suffered the major issue on his YZ when the bolts came away. Waisted a case half, rear hub, and a swingarm. Spendy problem.

This is a well known YZ problem. I would replace all the bolts with new ones, use the blue Loctite, and get them on there tight. As an alternative, you can run a Honda rear sprocket, but you have to use Honda sprocket bolts.

Never heard of this well known problem before.

Is your sprocket bent?

Is your rear wheel way out of alignment? Could cause side to side loading on the bolts and vibration.

Are the mating surfaces on your hub staight?

I don't know if these will help but they are pretty easy things to check.

DANGER !! :):)

I had the bolts coming loose on my rear sprocket. It ripped the hub apart and pretzeled my new JT steel sprocket. I ended up by lacing a new wheel, new hub, new sprocket and new sprocket bolts. After some research you have to use at least new locks nut with blue loctite at the proper torque.

If your chain adjustment is too tight it will work the bolts loose.

That was happening on mine until I paid closer attention to the chain tension.

Simple solution.

I hade the same problem till I TORQUED to the manuals specs and used locktite :)

WoW, that suck's,Never happened to me, But anything is possible..... :)

Another thing to add to my maintance list :)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'll double check my sprocket and hub alignment, and the Talon bolts are a great idea. Unfortunately I already paid $42 (!!) for a GYT-R titanium set! A lot cheaper than some of the other replies tho, so I guess I'm ahead.

polarbaird,

If you have the aircraft-style locknuts (the ones with the plastic inserts...also called nylock nuts) on your sprockets, they're designed to only be used once. If you remove or change your sprocket, use new locknuts.

Cheers,

Mac