Dual sports ignored by traffic lights?

I've been street riding for a few years now, but I am new to riding a DS on the street. Yesterday was the first day I was skipped by a traffic signal while waiting to cross an intersection. I just cursed to myself and quickly changed my intentions to a right turn. ?

I know all about the sensors and the embedded wires in the pavement. On my street bike, I usually just slowly roll over the center wire and park it on the spot where the wires "T" off to form the box. Works every time.

But I have a feeling that dual sports have too much ground clearance to trip these electromagnetic type sensors. And I guess the wheels don't have enough metal in them to help much either? ?

Anyone else have the same problem, or was it just bad luck for me?

I have heard that if you stop in the spot you described and shut off the bike and re-start it using your e-start (if you have that) that might trigger the sensors. Another option is to get a magnet and glue it to the bottom of the frame or skidplate. I saw an add once in Cycle News with the magnet and it talked about how it would trigger most signals.

It is actually legal in CA if the light passes you 2 times you can proceed as if there was no green arrow and just a green light. I know all the traffic lights in town that don't pick me up and I usually just avoid them, otherwise I come raring up to them and a slam on the brake almost doing a nose wheelie, never tried shutting it off and starting it up though. Have to try it.

Hmm, the starter idea almost sounds believable...might have to give it a try next time.

I'll also have to look into my local laws about going on a red if you get skipped...I like that one too. I guess some laws in CA aren't so bad; you guys get to lane split don't you? That needs to be legal in more states. Then you can let the cars up ahead trip the signal and still be first off every light!

a nearby city has a couple of lights that just will NOT recognize a bike, I bought a "Green Light Trigger" (glorified $20 magnet) for my 650lb. Moto Guzzi, and it still wouldn't trip the sensor ... save your money on that gadget ... town cop told me to look both ways and just go, he was aware of the situation, as he also rides bikes ...

Forget the magnets, other tactics, etc.

If the left turn arrow will not trigger, just proceed when safe. If you are riding like a good law-abiding motorcyclist, the police aren't going to write you up. This is an issue that has gone on for years and most law enforcement types understand.

Looks like some of the guys assume that the signal is activated by sensing the weight of your bike when you roll over it...It is electrical, electronic, magnetically tripped....Jumping up and down or doing a bunny hop on top of it doesn't do anything but is probably very entertaining for the people at the light....

Looks like some of the guys assume that the signal is activated by sensing the weight of your bike when you roll over it...It is electrical, electronic, magnetically tripped....Jumping up and down or doing a bunny hop on top of it doesn't do anything but is probably very entertaining for the people at the light....

So what you are saying, it is impossible to trigger a light by jumping up and down on your bike? Perhaps you aren't seeing the entire picture ? Jumping up and down on bike will compress the shocks, lowering the bike about 8-12inches. This would then, cause the engine cradle to get much closer to the strip causing the magnet to sense the frame/engine, tripping the light.

With that all said, I proceed with caution and run the sucker. ?

oh man, i thought this was just me or just a friggn pa thing or something. i've come to hate traffic lights anymore. this one in particular. it's at a pretty bad/busy intersection and unless you get the green arrow there's almost no way you're making that left. i sat at this beotch for about 10 minutes one day, no kidding, waiting for someone to pull up behind me. that sucked, the chances of that i thought we're pretty slim(someone actually not being right behind me at this particular intersection) but there i was. cussing, kicking, pissin and moaning for damn near ten minutes all the while the people in the straight lane kept on going by. one guy that was stopped at a red light beside me even made the comment about the "damn" lights and he doesn't know why these "damn" people don't do something about that. lol, was pretty cool. the guy was about in his late 70's or maybe even 80's and here i am some young(well 28) "punk biker"(you know how alot of those older people tend to be) and he's all about it ? i thought that was pretty cool. but i eventually actually said screw it and blew through a red and kinda slipped in between a couple of well spaced cars. that happened to me a couple times there. nobody behind me and i had to go through the red light and between a couple cars. i learned my lesson the first time though and now only wait for a safe opening i can sneak through. i'll probably get pulled over for it but what am i supposed to do. there's one light on my way to work i have to blow through on red almost on a daily basis also. actually on that one i just cut through a parking lot of a little corner store. you'd think they'd think of a way to incorporate a fix for this little problem somehow. short of strapping a metal plate to the bottoms of our feet ?