Sign in to follow this  

Haulin' with a Cargo Van?

Just wondering if anyone is hauling their bikes in a cargo van. If so, what model van, and how many bikes can you fit in them and you opiionons on them? I'm looking at later model econolines, so if you have any information on those it would be greatly appreciated.

Eventually, I'd also like to convert it to 4WD, so if anybody has given that a shot too, let me know about your experiences.

Thanks in Advance,

Ted

I have a ford club wagon van pull all the rear seats, sits 4. have a bike shoe for my bike and put another on in backwards. You can put a small bike in-between!

f8a084f7.jpg

I've hauled two bikes in a Dodge Ram Van. They fit best, head to tail. Only real issue is head space, you have to lean a lot unless you are short. The new Dodge Sprinter Van would be super, you can easily get 4 bikes in there and you can stand up. If 4 wheel drive is wanted, you can buy a GM van, AWD is an option on them.

Try a search, there have been a couple threads like this, one pretty recent.

I use an 85 E350 4x4 Ambulance conversion I bought on ebay.

Fits my bike fine, would fit two if I took out the squad bench. You could

probably get more in a cargo van, mine has built in storage & a sink.

Quigley is the most well known convertion company, they are not cheap.

Mine was done by some specialty company in Colorado for the Park City FD.

Best to find one already converted to save money & hassle, unless your

inclined to DIY.

4x4 vans come up on ebay every so often, from beaters to $50,000 sportsmobiles.

Pics from when I got it, still working on it.

1pxy011pxy0l

1pxy1i1pxy51

f8a084f7.jpg

Forbidden to view the image.

How hard is it to get the rear seats out? A club wagon would be cool too, but I'm not sure I'd have a use for all of the extra seats. How's the wagon treated you mechanically?

You can get a fullsize conversion van dirt cheep. I have seen really nice ones go for $3500. Then you just have to strip the inside out a little to get the bikes inside.

Those conversion vans dont hold any value. You know the ones with the sofa, chairs, table inside them. They are cheep. I have thought about getting one to haul my 5x8 enclosed then I can sleep in the van. For $3500 its a cheep motorhome.

I carry my bike in a 96 ford e250. I put it in the side door and take it out the back door. I'm guessing you could get 3 bikes in easy.

Mine was a 12 passenger, seats bolt in and out! If i need more seats for people i just bolt in the rear, then 7 people can sit! I've always had vans in the past! Great to change in when the weather is cold/raining, also just throw a king/queen air matterass in and your set! The ford vans are taller inside, i have no problems with putting bikes in. I get pretty good gas milage as well!

I don't know if they're still made, but in the 70's I had a Dodge Maxi-Van in the cargo model. In the passenger version I think it will sit 15, so it's big. I rode 250 and Open class, and my two sons rode both 60 and 80 class, so I could fit all six bikes, plus gas, tools, ice chests, etc inside. I kept the two front seats and the first row seat, so it took a lot of thought on how to get everything inside. Once I'd worked out a system, it all went pretty smooth. The biggest problem was parking the damn thing. With only driver and passenger side windows and the 2 in the back doors, it had the largest blind spot in creation!

If Dodge still makes it, that would be the way to go if you have a lot of bikes to carry.

Cheers,

Mac

Ok...here's one for you...believe it or not, I bought a used Ford Aerostar van that's 4WD and the extended version. Just used it last week to go from Canada to the Texas GNCC with 2 guys, 2 bikes + gear in it. Still had some space left...but not much! Got about 22mpg on the trip as well so it was cheap transportation.

I really wanted an extended cargo van, but couldn't find one in time, this one is a bit of a pain to load, but gets the job done. I'll use a trailer for shorter trips.

I use a '01 chevy 2500 cargo van to go riding. It is completely empty from the two front seats and back. I've fit 2 bikes and a quad in there once, so i think 4 bikes should be doable.

I've owned more vans than trucks and, IMO, it's the best way to go riding/racing for us budget minded racers. Personally, I prefer one with no side windows and, at the most, glass in the backdoors but really prefer none there either.

My favorite set up was a Chevy Astro van but that's only good for one bike, maybe two (never tried to get more than one). It was a cargo van and I went to the junkyard and bough a removable rear seat and had them cut out the parts where the seat latches, etc. I then cut out my floor and had them welded it. It was great because I could carry five people in it during the week and take the seat out the back and go riding/racing on the weekends.

That new Dodge mentioned looks like a great cargo van. Well, it's kinda' ugly but it has tons of head room.

Best of luck. :)

We've decided on a newer extended E350 Ford diesel 15 passenger. Pull all but the second row seats and haul the bikes, gear and five people, or leave the seats in, hook up our toy hauler and haul a butt load of people and gear. Seems like a good compromise over the cost of a crew cab pick up. Ford seems like the only people who offer anything more than a small V8 for towing.