Sign in to follow this  

Trailer towing strangeness

I tow my 6x12 enclosed single axle with my company vehicle 01 ford exploder 4.0. I've had this trailer 2 yrs and has the big bulbous nose up front and have always thought it was much too affected by any wind (1st tow veh was 01 Dakota xcab 4.7). Headwinds, tailwinds, crosswinds , vehicles passing you @ 60+ mph all moved you around and it sucked.

Currently I have the fenders off, which are the square looking jeep style fendors as I'm preparing it for fresh paint. while towing yesterday I had a 15-20 mph tailwind and noticed how little I was being buffeted vs. previously. the tow home with a headwind and then a crosswind was markedly better over the couse of 50 miles.

Are their any aerodynamic guys that can tell me if changing from the current square type fender to a round fender will positively affect my towing?

My guess is, the fenders capture air under them, this might be causing a lift condition on the trailer thereby causing stability problems. A smaller round fender that fits closer to the tires may prevent air being trapped and causing the lift.

You do have most of the weight up front of the axle right? Say 60% of the weight? If you don't and have too much towards the rear it will make the back of the trailer very scary in any kind of winds especially in cross winds.

Just a thought.

You do have most of the weight up front of the axle right? Say 60% of the weight? If you don't and have too much towards the rear it will make the back of the trailer very scary in any kind of winds especially in cross winds.

Just a thought.

Exactly what I was going to ask... Also, it's loaded the same way you normally do and also the tongue height hasn't changed drastically either right?

Yeah i would say load is the biggest factor when towing, very important to spread it evenly across the axles if possoble or as close to it as can be :)

All of these posts on this topic are good and figure in to the handling when towing.

I believe you also have another issue which is the wheelbase of the Explorer & the length of your trailer.

If you have a short wheel based suv ,car or truck & the trailer is over a certain length then there's gonna be a problem. a towing Stabilizer might help.

But I question how much.

A longer wheelbase or shorter trailer...thats the answer.

I tow combinations for receration. With a Ford Powerstoke F-350 (longbed).

8x16 ATV/motorcycle trailer attached to a 27 foot 11,000lb 5th wheeler.

The ride is straight as an arrow thru wind, rain & dust storms.:)

Good Luck,

JD

thanks guys but I've been towing a few decades now. The short wheelbase is an issue I realize but it tendede to move around when pulled with longer wheelbase truck, too. Load may be a little nose heavy too.

However: I towed it again this weekend and it towed straight as an arrow and got better fuel mileage. The only thing that has changes is these fenders.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with new round ones.

So Glad to hear everything has worked out for you.

Happy trails :)

Please submit payment at this time. :)

On to solving the next of the worlds troubles :p

Ride safe,

JD