Sign in to follow this  

Bmw Baja 1000 Bike

The BMW Baja 1000 bike from last years in this months Dirt Rider. A special one off GS 1200 (the engine anyway). 100hp dirt bike!

I just saw the production version at a dealer with these great big knobby tires and the spokes actually came through the edge of the rims near the tire bead. I just stood there and laughed. That would be like riding an elephant in a rodeo. I could picture the cylinders getting stuck between 2 trees. These salesman didn't have a sense of humor though.

BMW done alright in years past in the Dez, look up paris to Dakar. & trees are pretty far apart in baja. probably not the baja winner but cool in my book. those rims are quite trick, means they can run tubeless tires, get a flat, you dont need to bust the tire off, just plug it.

I just saw the production version at a dealer with these great big knobby tires and the spokes actually came through the edge of the rims near the tire bead. I just stood there and laughed. That would be like riding an elephant in a rodeo. I could picture the cylinders getting stuck between 2 trees. These salesman didn't have a sense of humor though.

I am well aware of the Dakar, but in Pittsburgh? If that thing sells locally I'll be surprised. Those tires were ridiculous, about 8" wide with huge, short knobs.

I am well aware of the Dakar, but in Pittsburgh? If that thing sells locally I'll be surprised. Those tires were ridiculous, about 8" wide with huge, short knobs.

I think that would be an awesome big bike for western PA, WVA, MD. The roads back there, especially in the mountians are perfect for that kind of bike. Those big wide flat knobs work well on the tar & chip pave', if you run into a dirt road, no need to slow down. Someone with enough cash, that likes to burn up the ridge roads of the Appalachians will buy it!

Other than the cylinders sticking out really far, that bike you saw at the dealer was nothing like the one raced in the '04 Baja 1000. The Baja bike is a fully custom machine that was used to test some parts.

Maybe in the future you'll see some of those parts on a production "off-road" BMW.

The current production twin isn't all bad anyway. Good knobby tires on it and some caution and it's a fantastic dirt road bike.

The Baja BMW used typical rims, spokes, rimlocks, tubes, and tires exactly like you'd see on any typical dirt bike (as "PowerCell" can attest because he helped mount 40 race tires in 4 hours one night).

Of course it's not made to be a single track bike. But semi-wide trails are really not much problem on it and fire roads are amazing on it.

Anyone thinking about a large displacement dual sport/adventure touring bike will be stoked if this BMW makes it to the dealer floor.

Yes, you can see a big difference from the production bike and I admit that there probably is more demand than I thought considering the E-Bay auctions. I guess that we are so used to riding in the nastiest stuff that we can find, a dirt road bike doesn't interest me much. I would hate to see the result of even a dirt road slide-over with that thing.

Bajabound here can tell you all about it from a seat of the pants view. Tim is one of the riders featured in the article that raced the bike. I doubt it would be a bike to ride in the east or midwest. The bike needs room to stretch its 100 hp engine. With a Rally frame, the Paris to Dakar speeds come to mind (100 mph +). :)

The production bikes make awesome road bikes that can rip up the twisty's if the road is rough,tour all day and ride gravel roads.Thats what they are for now.When they first came out they were alot lighter and dirt oriented but they are bmw's biggest seller now for above usage.