Sign in to follow this  

Ok Guys, What do I need to Know? New KTM.

:) Gentlemen,

I'm interested in buying a new KTM EXC, either the 400, 450, or 525. :p

I'm 6'5" and 265 lbs. I love the tight woods, switchbacks and hillclimbs. I'm a B/C trail rider that wants to start doing the enduro circuit.

My only complaint on my current bike is......it's heavy & doesn't have enough power. :)

Give me the dirt......tell me the good & bad points. Will the 400 have enough power to haul my fat butt around? The 525 vibrates too much, is it much tougher to blast through the woods?

Help! :D

super, I would be thinking 525 for your weight. If bob can ride a 510 so can anyone. All will be a big improvement over the xr 400. My buddy jeremy just got a 525 mxc, I weighed it with an IMS tank, 1 gallon of fuel and a skid plate at 254 lbs, and that has e start. I went through this debate a while back, bob went through it and my buddy went through it. We all came to the conclusion that more power is better. Your only decision should be SX, MXC or EXC. Try this for reading.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225740&highlight=525

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216842&parentpage=2&highlight=525

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214449&parentpage=3&highlight=525

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205228&parentpage=3&highlight=525

GET THE 525. It won't wear you out, it will kick ass.

Me and a buddy bought new 2002 XR400's. After about 3 mounths I decided this was not the bike for me, started racing, so I traded it for a KTM 200 MXC. Road it for a couple years, sweet bike but not enough POWER!!! Now I just bought a 2005 KTM 450 EXC! This in my opinion is what I wanted out of my XR400. The bike rips!

If I were you, 200+ pounds, go with the 525 EXC! You won't be dissapointed.

IMO....Big rider+TIGHT woods=525EXC

The EXC transmission gearing will be better for tight woods (lower 1st gear)

than the MXC.

Another vote for the big 525 EXC :)

The ONLY bad thing about the RFS's is that you gotta change out the oil and do some valve adjustments (piece of cake for the most part!)

I think you gotta ask the question, are you in good enough shape that you don't fizzel out from fatigue? If you are fit go 525 but they do take a lot more effort to ride. I am 60, was born & raised on open class weapons and now a days I can ride much longer on a 400 than a 525, recently I took the belief that a short stroke motor took less energy to a new extream going to the 450 Husky which is about like a 250 KTMEXC crank with a 450SX cylinder. I can ride twice as long before becoming fatiged. That 400 KTM is 1/2 between those extreames (450 Husky & 525 RFS engine) would not hinder the 400 at all!

:D Gentlemen,

My main concern is the hp (horse power) and nimbleness in the woods.

The 400, 450, & 525 are in the same package with different hp. What's the hp of the 3 bikes? :)

I've run outa beans more than once on that XR, but then I like the woods 90% of the time. :)

Will the 525 fit the bill? :D

Sheet or get off the pot!? :p

I always heard that as a guide that the KTM 400 has ~42hp, the 450 has ~45hp, and the 520 has ~52hp. Any of these bikes is going to be a big HP jump from your XR 400, which I always thought was ~35hp. 4strokes.com shows an even bigger diffence: 30hp for the XR400 and 46hp for the KTM 450. :)

Look here: 4Strokes.com Articles: 400/450cc 4-Stroke HP Comparison

I weigh ~220lbs. and I like my 400 just fine. Plenty of power for me, but I'm no racer, I'm just a 50+ year old guy riding for fun and scenery. :)

I'm 45, not in the best of shape,had many large bikes before,wanted something more mellow,was talked into a 525,intimidated the first few rides,ect........ After my fifth ride (yesterday) I WANT MORE (well maybe a little). Actually i'm happy with the power.Enough to scare and easy to ride slow. :)

KTM450 EXC.I'm 45,225lb+,I've had my 450 for 3 seasons now,I ride Stoneyford,Georgetown,Foresthill,Carniage,Sierra City.Never came across anything it would'nt do.Changed gearing to 13-52 and it's perfect.I do not know why but given a choice now I would probably get the 525.Nothing at all wrong with 450 but to quote a friend "I would like to go up the hills as fast as I go down" I have never ridden a 525 but the 450 EXC is sweet. :)