Sign in to follow this  

Does Brembo make a 13mm RADIAL master cylinder?

I'm trying to find a 13mm Brembo radial master cylinder but all I can find is a non-radial version. Does this even exist?

Also- is anyone using the 13mm Magura radial masters? How are they?

Thanks, they had it.

The question is...the Brembo costs $82 and the Magura costs $300. Both are 13mm radial masters with remote reservoirs. Why the huge price difference? Why is the 13mm so cheap? Bigger Brembos are up to $500-600. Am I missing something?

Yeah I didn't think that was a radial. I got fooled by the remote reservoir.

I don't know which caliper you have but I have a Motomaster and 13mm is supposed to be the best size master for it from what I've read.

Does anyone actually have a 13mm radial Brembo?

The hot set-up is to grab the master cylinder off of the TRX Quad. It's just a tad over 13mm I think. They ran it on Bostrom's Factory honda for the X-Games I hear so it must work pretty good.

I hear most guys are happy with the stock MC with the motomaster set-up. I haven't heard anyone say they've experienced better performance by upgrading the MC with the motomaster calipers. They were designed to use the stock MC so I doubt you'll see much difference besides the lighter wallet.

Good call- I just looked up the article. There it is...13mm Brembo radial. I can't find anything anywhere though.

Well I looked into the TRX quad front caliper and it's supposedly the hot setup. They say Ben Bostrom was running one with the Motomaster caliper in X-Games. It looks like it's about 13mm. Also it's about $60 complete. I think I may give it a shot.

I looked at that one in my searching but couldn't figure out what size it is. Not sure if it's 13mm...anyone know about the KTM MC?

It is a 16.

Brembo does not have a 13 radial in the US from what I could tell. I looked high and low because of that SMR article.

I have a Brembo radial 16 on my CRF with Braking caliper and it works incredibly...when it is working well.

I have the stock DRZ-S unit on my DRZ SM, which is a 13mm non-radial. It clamps the Motomaster caliper and rotor. Sadly, I bought the Brembo for this setup, but learned that the 16 does not match up well...at least that is what I have heard. I have not actually tried it yet and it is still sitting in the new "un-opened" package. If I was not so lazy, I would swap the CRF unit to the Motomaster for a day to test out and decide if the 16 is the one for me or not.

But what swayed me was a local pro rode my bike as described above and fell in love with the brakes. He then bought a 16mm radial for his bike, which has the MM caliper, and he said it was nothing near what he was hoping for, and he even went back to his original setup.

Again, I am too lazy to find out for myself.

Mike

Ive tried a 16mm brembo with a Beringer 4pot on my KTM and with a braking 4 pot on a CRF and the the leaver was real wooden with no feel ok ish on tarmac but awfull on the dirt.

Scottsmr Where did you get 13mm brembo????

Magura do a 13 radial M/C looks like that will be the way to go.

just fyi i read the SMR aricle again.that bike has a brembo gp caliper identical to what i use.that caliper requires a 16mm master.im sure the 13mm listed is a misprint.

Magura do a 13 radial M/C looks like that will be the way to go.

BTW, Magura is introducing a new MC, called the 195. It's a cast version of the billet 190 and will be the MC sold as part of the new supermoto kit. It'll be available in 13mm, 16mm, and 20mm and cost about 1/3 less than the 190.

The other feature that may be nice is that the pump bolts to the bar at an angle whick may give the rider a little more room under the handguards.

--Fillmore

I'm a bit late coming into this discussion...

Here's the Magura 195 series 13mm MC: http://www.motostrano-store.com/ma195ramacy.html

I bought the KTM recommended 16mm Brembo Radial MC to go along with the KTM/Beringer 4 piston caliper, and the lever feels a bit too hard for my preference. I'm guessing that the Beringer caliper (and possibly other SM calipers) has a low volume fluid capacity, as the pistons in it are short (to make the caliper slim and not hit the spokes of the close-to-fork leg wheel spacing and placement of the brake disc).

MarkCh

I'd like more info on the TRX quad master cylinder. Does anyone have part #? For that price, I'd try it just to see how it works. I've been looking for a master cylinder to replace the one on my '04 KTM SMC.

Thanks,

CB

My bike has the 13mm non radial Brembo with the reservoir built in and it works great with the Motomaster, tried the 12 and 14mm but they were not too good. Magura radial is good too but there is a huge difference in price. For the money 13mm is a great buy. Don't forget to run Motol Brake fluid.

Here is a picture of it for $90 can't be beat!

http://www.markburkhart.com/DSCN4219_p_256x364.jpg

Ive got the 13mm non radial type on my ktm off a Duke and the 04 SMR i can get the part number of that if you want??