Sign in to follow this  

Gordon Mods w/ stock California needle

Anyone do the Gordon mods to a California XR4? I ride at 3,000 feet and live at sea level and am trying to figure out how far I can mod the bike without changing to the A16 needle. Would rather not deal with pulling the carb.

Based on Kev_XR's posts I was considering pulling the snorkel, unstalling the Uni and drilling the spark arrestor - then going to a 155/55 combo. If I leave the stock California needle in place will I cook the motor? :)

Any help from California riders would be appreciated.

I think you mean installing a Uni. The stock Cali needle will be fine for now. The A16 needle is a double tappered needle where the stock Cali isn't. It is nothing that will hurt your engine.

You're right. I meant INstalling the Uni filter.

What I'm concerned about is a possible lean condition that would cause overheating when using the California needle with the airbox/muffler mods.

Anybody have any experience in this area? Maybe changing the pilot and main is enough... but it would be nice to hear from someone who has done it and knows for sure.

Just changing the jets is enough. I have never heard of anyone having a lean condition due to not changing out the needle. I ran my stock carb with a 55/158 combo for about a year before I changed the needle to the A16 (2000~5000 feet). It never ran hot, before or after. As a matter of fact, I didn't notice any difference from the original Cali needle. If you're really worried about this, I would recommend you using 58/158 jets.

I did just what you are talking about. 155/55 without needle change. 1100 to 4000 feet. No problem. I have 1500 miles on the 2004 XR 400.

Thanks guys! Keeping the stock needle will make the job way easier. I'm curious, did you guys drill the muffler or go with the '97 unit and a Vortip? Would that choice affect jetting at all?

By the way, were you happy with the end result? i.e. did you lose any low end power or have any negative side effects?

I had a FMF PC4 put on my bike.

The jetting described by Gordon has to have either the drilled muffler end cap or the vortip. If you keep the stock muffler without modifying it, I think 55/155 may be rich.

When you are done, you will feel a gain all thourgh the power band. Your bike will literally breath a sigh of releaf.