Sign in to follow this  

cold starting the X

I bought my boys a couple of Xs, starting them hot or flooded is no problem at all, but using the e-start when they are cold is hell. There must be some kind of ritual. How do you do it?

By the way this a great site, i like the 250x so much i`m selling ECX and getting the 450X

LOL!!! Yea i`m using the choke, they will start with one or two kicks but you have to keep the button going for what seems like a minute or two. These are my first e-start dirtbikes, guess i thought they would start like street bikes but maybe i`m wrong.

Ours acts the same. 28 degrees out today and two kicks it fires... E start no way.

cold or hot, my X fires on the happy button, in fact, never used the kickstarter.

If the temps have dropped (although you're in Georgia, dropping temps is well....we wont go there.....)

:)

try turning your fuel screw out another 1/2 turn.

I am sure you know this, but......Im an old man and have to get my jollies some how....

fuel on....

two twists of the throttle

choke

hands off the throttle

spin her.

All I ever do....at worst she catches runs for 5 seconds then stumbles, but then I just hit the happy button again...and she lights.

Good luck and let us know what ends up working for you!

:D

HR

:)

:p

My X starts really fast with the magic button in 30 degree weather. I give the throttle 2 twists to squirt the accelerator pump, choke on, don't touch the throttle again. It starts immediately. :)

One trick my friend with a 400 KTM does is always start his bike right out of the garage, before loading it on the trailer. Warm it up a little, then when you unload at the trailhead later on, it is much easier to start again.

Someone showed me a trick where you leaned it to the left enough to get a little bit of fuel to come out and it started right up.

Well, that may the problem. I was told that the CRFs (450 or 250) that you NEVER open the thottle before startup because of the accelerator.

In cold weather and especially when you havn't started the bike in a day or more, give the throttle two good openings to juice the accelerator pump. This should help the bike fire when the electric starter. If it fails, just kick it.

Wow, 2 kicks?? In the cold, mine will take at least 10, dont even think about the button. Also, mine has a short I think, sometimes it will work, sometimes it just clicks, and other times i push the button and absolutely nothing happens. If I pound on the seat over the battery, that sometimes gets it to work. I'm terrible with electronic things, can anyone tell me what to do?

After my X has sat in the box van overnight in teens-low 20's temps...I found the e-start was spinning the motor too fast to start.

I found that turn the gas on,a couple of blips of throttle, and a EASY kick or 2 would fire it right up.

I have found that if I give it 2 blips and it doesn't start right away, I will give it one more and try again and if doesn't start immediately give it one more... I know it is hard to believe but it works.

i like to hold the kill switch for a few secs. with the estart on then let off and it fires just fine cold or hot.... :)

i like to hold the kill switch for a few secs. with the estart on then let off and it fires just fine cold or hot.... :)

I tried this over the weekend and it works very well. :)

I've had similar problems. My battery is wheezing pretty badly. Starting to piss me off a bit. Got the '05 250X for x-mas and the battery is getting tired. Have a little over 100 miles on it. Should battery be acting like this? I will try the suggestions with the throttle this Saturday before starting it. Do I need to periodically charge the battery? If these questions sound stupid, then please look at my username.....

Thanx

I use a battery tender to keep my battery charged when I don't plan on riding for a couple weeks.

I think I got a lemon battery when I bought my bike, never seemed to hold much of a charge. I ended up ordering a new one for dirt cheap and the thing cranks like a madman now.

Edit: Bought the new battery for $31.95 shipped. For anyone interested here's the link-

http://www.septechnologies.biz/powersport_battery/motorcycle_battery_ytx5lbs.htm