Sign in to follow this  

What do you carry when riding?

Two questions, what do you carry when on a ride?

2: what is in your bike toolkit? (assuming you carry one when riding)

A monkey on the back.

Nothing currently, but MXJunky is contemplating a tool kit for longer trail rizides.

I ride only off road so i carry water, misc tool kit and first aid kit, and i also carry a front tube that can be used in rear if needed. :)

Toolkit

GPS

Nextel cell phone w/ direct connect

Water

Power bar

My wife and riding buddies have GPS so in case I get hurt I can tell them exactly where I am.

Off road:

Basic tools to fix bike

Basic tools & spares to change tire

Water - snacks - phone - GPS

Spare fuses - a trail set of spare nuts/bolts/screws - zip ties - tow strap

Multi-tool

occasionally a sidearm loaded w/snakeshot

This all fits in a tail bag, fender bag and hydration pack.

On Road: All above plus a few extra tools and 1st aid kit. All fits in side cases instead of packs and back.

I usually dont carry anything but lately I have been thinking of getting a big can of mace or some kind of protection for a last resort .I dont know why people want to mess with you when your out just trying to enjoy yourself :) .I have had a few runin's with some harley riders and a kid in a jeep that tried to squirt me with his rear wiper washer he had it so it could shoot a streem strait back about 20 feet he didnt get me with the water because I try not to ride someones bumper but the point is dont people have any respect ? Are they hoping they will wreck you ? Do harley riders think that the emblem on there bikes make them super men? :)

When off road I carry everything but the kitchen sink. Rear fender pack has tools. Front fender pack has tube and 3 irons. Backpack has camera, maps, water, water filter, snacks, cell phone, tow strap, binoculars, space blanket, bug juice, lighter, a real first aid kit with SAM splint, stethescope, spare key, tire pump, fleece jacket and extra space filled with bubble wrap. On extended backcountry rides I sometimes carry two 1 litre aluminum bottles of fuel in pockets outside of pack, and couple of cans of cat food. Cat food is if I'm really starving :) All this is carried in a MSR colorado single trak.

It sounds like a lot of crap but most of it has been used on a ride for whatever reason one time or another.

TONY

I carry some tools, 1 spark plug, mobile phone and a digital photo camera.

Since I don't ride alone, most of my buddys carry stuff to. :)

It sounds like a lot of crap but most of it has been used on a ride for whatever reason one time or another.

Including the cat food?

I carry some tools, 1 spark plug, mobile phone and a digital photo camera.

Since I don't ride alone, most of my buddys carry stuff to. :)

Thats the way we do it, everyone does there part so no one is loaded to the brim.

Hayshaker why not carry beans or some canned HUMAN food , we don't live in the age of Mad max yet. :p I just don't think cat food has much nutrition :) and is rather heavy more powerbars would seem better :D

When off road I carry everything but the kitchen sink. Rear fender pack has tools. Front fender pack has tube and 3 irons. Backpack has camera, maps, water, water filter, snacks, cell phone, tow strap, binoculars, space blanket, bug juice, lighter, a real first aid kit with SAM splint, stethescope, spare key, tire pump, fleece jacket and extra space filled with bubble wrap. On extended backcountry rides I sometimes carry two 1 litre aluminum bottles of fuel in pockets outside of pack, and couple of cans of cat food. Cat food is if I'm really starving :) All this is carried in a MSR colorado single trak.

TONY

Why cat food? Instead, carry human food which doesn't take up any more room.

I ride alone and very far distances in the desert. I sometimes carry water, sometimes fuel. I always have the stock toolkits, rarely a cell phone, sometimes a camera. I believe if you prep for a problem, you'll get one. So don't prep for what you don't want - like carrying splints.

and couple of cans of cat food. Cat food is if I'm really starving :)

It sounds like a lot of crap TONY

You can't buy canned human food where you live????

maybe he carries it "just in case" he sees a starving cat on the trail. :p

I've noticed that alot dual sporters (especially BMW types) want to be prepared for everything. hence the bike that is dirt and street ready. the snap-on tool truck in one pannier. chain saw, hack saw, cutting torch, prybar, electric air compressor, extra 5 gallons of gas, stove, 1000' of rope, curling iron, and blender in the other pannier. full trama center in their backpack including extra insulin, plasma, novacane, cat food, stethoscope, blood pressure guage, and morphine. full mapping GPS, two way radios, 2 enduro computers, tachometer, gear indicator, vacuum guage, voltage guage, and laptop computer all attached to the handlebars. don't forget about the extra trashcan for picking up trash along the trails. :)

they are eagle scouts on two wheels! :)

Seriously though, in my camelback with the factory tool pack, an extra sparkplug (a throwback to my 2 stroke days) a pocketknife, an ace bandage, tape, safety wire, JB weld, and a cell phone.