Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse auto clutch

I had a rekluse auto clutch installed and it is the best thing that I've done to my bike so far . I've had only one problem . When the shop installed it for me

they had one problem . Rekluse said you can still use the clutch leaver with it but when I pulled the in the clutch leaver in it blew the slave-cylinder. The shop got a hold of rekluse and they said that you can only use the clutch when the bike is running and if somebody pulls the clutch in when its not running it could blow it again . Has anybody had these problems and what did you do to fix them ?

I believe that warning about the slave cylinder is in the install instructions. I agree about the Rekluse being the best invention since sliced bread. Wouldn't want to ride without one anymore.

by not "running" do you mean motor off? or do you mean the tranny engages and the bike moving? that would make no sense...must mean the motor off..so what you start it in gear or neautral whatever? even if its in like 3 gear ya just start it? can you explain a little more please - not interested in one, but curious

I've installed Z start units in my TE250 and SM450R. I've retained the clutch lever and per the instructions, the clutch lever should not be pulled in with the engine off. I have however, pulled the clutch lever in many times with the engine off with no ill effect so far. You might want to contact Rekluse yourself to get the low down directly from them. The person who installed your Z Start might not have done it correctly, which is easy to do, especially if you follow their sketchy instructions.

I'm no engineer, but a critical part of the installation is making sure that the clutch throwout piece is correct so as to not overload the slave cylinder when pulling the clutch in. The instructions called for the use of a ball bearing spacer, however, I found that with the spacer, the pressure plate would not fit into the clutch basket. So, on my 450, I omitted the spacer. On my 250, I contacted Rekluse and they sent me another throwout piece with a deeper hole where the clutch rod fits, allowing the pressure plate to fit into the basket. Kind of hard to explain here without pics, but the end result is that the Z Start units work great, even on my street plated SM450R supermoto. Its great to be able to brake late into turns and pull a perfect holeshot from every stoplight in 2nd or 3rd gear by simply gassing it! :)

Yea by not running I meant to say turned off . Also not by not having a clutch

leaver I'll have to put it in neutral to get it started . I've never been able to start it in gear anyways . So he is going to work on that to . Hopefully I'll get it back today and let yall know how it is working . Even with this problem I'm

keeping it on my bike .

I have the Rekluse too and wondered the very same thing since on the '05's you have to have the clutch pulled in to start the bike. I'm not sure if this is true for the '04's? But that translates into 1000's of times pulling the clutch in when your bike is not running. But, knock on wood, I haven't blow the slave yet. Maybe Al or Kelly can chime in on this?

Lee

Use the kickstart and then you don't have to worry about it. By the way, mine starts in gear with the kickstart. Thanks JD!!!

Travis Epperson

Thanks for finding that thread Duke Pilot. I thought someone had answered that before. Man I'm losing it! :)

Thanks for finding that thread Duke Pilot. I thought someone had answered that before. Man I'm losing it! :)

No problem, I recalled the post from doing some research prior to getting the rekluse units.

So here is another question for your guys running the rekluse. Have you noticed higher engine operating temperature?

I'm not overheating or spewing coolant but I can feel additional heat coming off the engine that I did not notice before. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but perhaps this is caused by more clutch slippage. Or, it could just be my imagination.

I have little experiance with the centrificle clutchs, very suprised that the slave clyinder blew, but when you think about it the clutch plate is in the "out" or released position when the engine is not running so it should have a near solid resistance, the only reason to have the lever is to release it when running at more than an idle speed.

I have read the warning but never had an issue with it. I take my bike to trade shows and everyone has to pull the shorty lever. I have never had an issue with it. :)

I have about 1800 miles of worry free abuse on my Z-Start in the TE450. Install gap is staying put. Love it.

Kelly