Sign in to follow this  

chainsaw basics

I've found some cool trails that need some fallen trees cleared. I'm considering buying a chainsaw eventually but i know nothing about them. Need to learn basic safety etc. Can anyone suggest a good site to learn about these issues?

Another question is what size saw do i need to cut trees that are about 6 inches in diameter?

:)

Living on a farm growing up...I have used plenty of chain saws. For your needs...you could get by with something really small. Even a 16" homelite will be fine...and easy to carry around.

I do not know of any web sites for chain saw basics...but they must be out there. Wear safety glasses. Make sure you get a saw with a chain brake on it. Basically, don't be stupid with it and you will be fine. Keep your feet out of the way. After a while you will learn the best way to cut any given tree.

Actually I just found this HERE

If your only talking about 6" trees and your not sure about your chainsaw skills. Another option would be a 18V Saw-Zall from a quality company such as DeWalt. Pass on the cheapo brands. There are saw blades made for pruning trees that'll go through small logs quickly. Don't waste your time with regular lumber blades. Also if ya go the chain saw route. Pro-Moto Billet makes a chainsaw holder for bikes.

If you're gonna buy a saw get a small Stilh brand chainsaw. Comes with good operator info and use your personal protective gear. I have a Stilh with a 18" bar and it is a great saw. If you take care of 'em you can't wear it out...And, remember "you don't ever wanna get licked by a chainsaw!"...Good luck... :)

Husky makes some great saws, they are kinda pricy but will last and last. Also, try Jonsared, ours is 19 years old and still going strong, and we just cleared 4 acres of forest this summer for our pond, almost all with that saw.

cool thanks for the info guys. i've only looked at one so far. a noname brand 14 inch for $150. i'll have to shop around to find some more reputable brands. would 14 inches be enough? :):)

Cri-men-ney, how many trees do you have to clear!!! It it's just a few spend $15 on a tensioned bow saw. You can clear a 6'' tree by hand saw in under 5 minutes and that's taking time to contemplate the scenery. And you won't slash your knee or foot apart. You won't do it any faster with a chain saw.

Geez, my pappy made me render down trees into firewood when I was a kid using a rusty dull piece of crap one man crosscut handsaw (misery whip), and some wedges and a sledge. I don't know how many cords I cut but it was years worth. Later, after I was on my own I bought a new hand bow saw and I was amazed at how fast a Sharp blade cut wood. Geez, stupid kid slave labor. Come on, be a man and use some muscle.

I've done a ton of trail maint on mountainbike trails using cheap folding pruning saws. You can easily carry in your pack and cut thru 6 inches in under 2 min. It is surprising what you can cut thru!

A Stihl 170 for an inexpensive light saw or a Stihl MS200T for an expensive light saw (arborist saw) with a short blade (14" or even 12") is great for everything but the biggest trees. Even a 12" saw will get thru a 24" tree. The 170 (was the 017) for under $200 with a 12" blade makes a great trial tool. Carry it in a back pack or on a pack frame. Get some training from a competent user. (a person with all his fingers and toes) Be vary careful of fallen trees that want to stand back up when you cut. Be vary careful of leaners. A rule of mine is "only 1 saw running at a time". Too many people working together with saws is dangerous. Dead standing trees, have someone watch to top for widow makers (tops that fall back). Just be careful and you will be fine. Trail work is fun.

Gad, I just have to rant some more. Grew up on a farm did you? must have been a rich farm. you probably had augers too. The one time I asked him about chain saws he said I'd sawed enough that day and he gave me a digging bar so I could start chipping out some post holes in the clay we called dirt. He wanted to build something we went to the local river beds and snake out the timbers of washed out bridges and power poles. Sand and gravel? came from the same river beds - me and my brother shoveled it by the yard. Tractors, dump trucks, power tools, who needs them when you got sons at your command.

I'd think you could get a wonderful handsaw in Japan.

Cri-men-ney, how many trees do you have to clear!!! It it's just a few spend $15 on a tensioned bow saw. You can clear a 6'' tree by hand saw in under 5 minutes and that's taking time to contemplate the scenery. And you won't slash your knee or foot apart. You won't do it any faster with a chain saw.

Geez, my pappy made me render down trees into firewood when I was a kid using a rusty dull piece of crap one man crosscut handsaw (misery whip), and some wedges and a sledge. I don't know how many cords I cut but it was years worth. Later, after I was on my own I bought a new hand bow saw and I was amazed at how fast a Sharp blade cut wood. Geez, stupid kid slave labor. Come on, be a man and use some muscle.

I was going to say the same thing. Those bow saws work great. You also wont make any noise to draw any attention to yourself. Like he said, a few minutes and you could cut a 6" tree up no problem. Just be careful. I still have a nasty scar I got when I was cutting trees with my dad. I was about twelve years old. The saw slipped, and ripped into my hand. My dad made me walk home. :)

back saws and pruning saws can also be used any time of the year without any special permits. In many areas the USFS will not let you use a chainsaw during the summer.

either of these saws will cut very quickly when they are sharp. I have a corona brand pruning saw that works excellent and would easily fit in a backpack.

if you do decide to buy a chain saw, husky, stihl and echo are all excellent professional quality saws.

I have my dad's 30 year old stihl that still starts every every time i want it to regardless of how long it's been sitting. parts are still available for it too.

might as well try a bow saw first. should be a lot cheaper and get me started. will consider chain saws it that doesn't seem to suffice.

stealth is indeed a nice point.

thanks guys. :)

Grew up on a farm did you? must have been a rich farm.

Are there any rich farms? And I'm sure you walked uphill in the snow both ways to school. I'm glad you got to dig post holes with your big toe and pull trees out of the ground with your bare hands. :)

Well, I have used plenty different brands of saws and have to back up the Husquvarna brand pretty solid. Those saws Rock! I still call on my old 77 John Deer alot, it it just a beast as well !(made in japan go figure) Starts every time! I like the sawzall idea too! I grew up on a small farm aswell but I took the Bus to school up hill both ways and I had shoes too!

ok. i think i've come up with the perfect solution. i'm gonna buy a katana (samurai sword).

i've seen on the movies that you can, like, slice through a tree or something with one whack!

i can also use it to threaten those kamekaze dumptruck drivers we have in the mountains here when they try to run me off the road! :):)

Sweat you baby,

You'll put as much work into pulling a chainsaw to life as you will sawing a piddly 6" stick by hand. :):p:D:):D