Sign in to follow this  

Ummm, WTf??

Tonight when I started up my X, I was warming it up, and when it was still a little cold and I could still get it to bog down by opening the throttle too fast, right when I closed it again it would sometimes pop or backfire, and shoot out a flame, looking exactly like a jet in afterburner! It would only do it when it was cold, once it was warmed up it was just fine. My baffle is in, so what's going on here? :)

most likely a blown engine, if you would have let it warm up it would have surely seized up...

???

Sounded like it was'nt warmed up too me, I could be wrong... How were you warming it up? When its cold I put the choke on, give the bike about 4 quick half twists of the throttle, then kick it about 1-3 times till it fires up...Then I let it idle with the choke on untill the left radiator is warm. Then I take the choke off and let it idle for about 30 seconds, then rev it a few times and Im set. Its been in the low 30s and started fine for me everytime. Your problem also sounds like it could be jetting problems, Or out of spec valves.

To warm it up I start it with the choke on, leave it on for 15-20 seconds, then rev it up just a little, and if it starts to die out pull the choke back out some. It runs fine once it warms up though. Blown engine? That's a good one. :)

your bike is warmed up and ready to ride when the cover of the oil filter is warm to the touch. takes longer than you think. best to just let it idle for awhile....most guys dont let the bike warm up before blasting off....