Sign in to follow this  

Just got my new plate!

Ok I'm new to this forum, as I am usually on the CRF450 page. Please excuse the dumb questions cuz I'm a Moto guy! lol :)

Anyway I live in AZ and have a 01 XR400 I want to dual sport. Just went down w/o the bike and got a plate!

So now for the questions.

1) Previous owner had his XR250 wired for the street but took it off before he rode it and gave it to me. It has one of those rubber license plate holders and tailight, hangs down like a big mudflap. Before I go drilling into my fender to mount and cut into my existing rear taillight wire I want an opinion. This thing seems cheezy like it will flap in the wind. I ride pretty hard off/road and can't imagine this thing taking much abuse (wires/bulbs etc).

2) Can I just mount the plate on the fender? It won't have the clear lens part sining on plate.

3) How do I get the two-wired bulb into a three wire with brake light?

4) Rear brake switch, any suggestions? I have heard hydraulic is best, anyone know a Honda OEM one that will work?

5) Front light seems weak any suggestions?

6) Will a squeeze horn be legal?

7) I've ridden in the street for yrs. Do people not notice you on these low powered light bikes?

8) Anyway to put an ignition/cutoff key?

9) AZ seems pretty lax any AZ riders get pulled over?

Thanks for your help, I hope to do some killer dual sport rides soon. :)

Gary

low powered? lol, my xt will outrun just about any car i come across, with the dirt tires on it. (tested on safe course) As far as the mount, you could find a more sturdy aftermarket plate holder. Im probably wrong, but i figured the tail light you have is a brake light. If this is the case, just wire an always on positive to the other wire (less bright light). as far as the horn, you can get a horn from any auto parts place, get a bar mountable button, and there ya go.

Thanks I meant low powered light. lol

Yes the aftermarket plate holder has the light on it and it is a 3 wire light. It would look cheezy to have two lights on the rear.

Ok I need to order a light today.

Stock stator output is 80 watts.

I like the idea of the Acerbis Cyclops light tip from Zen moto because I will be riding at night and want a good light. It has two 55 watt bulbs.

"I bought the Acerbis Cyclops headlight. It puts out a LOT more light than the standard DS kit lights, and has a removeable polycarbonate cover that protects both lenses (it has a wide angle, lo-beam, and a hight intensity, focused high-beam)."

So my question is will the stock stator be ok? I don't need turn signals. Is it worth it to bump up the stator?

How much, easy to do?

Thx