Sign in to follow this  

What 230 mods first???

Hey guys ive never really been over to this forum.I ride a crf250 but I just bought my girlfriend a new crf230 and shes stoked on it!

I was just wondering what mods should be done immediatly.

Ive already took out the spark arrestor insert put bars on and put a CR style perch and lever on.

Im assuming by the way it runs its jetted a little fat at the factory.We live in SoCal and pretty much just ride local.I know somebody has the jetting setup for this location. Also what else can I do that would be somewhat inexpensive but will help out?

Keep in mind that this is my chicks bike so were not neccrsarily trying to get every bit of horsepower out of it just mods that will help her out.

Whats everyone doing suspension wise??

Any help with any of this stuff would be greatly appreiciated

When she wants more power uncork it & rejet per the sticky at the top of this forum.

Handle bar upgrade you already did! :) That's a good one.

Shock: no cheap options, preload it about 8mm for her & it should good enough for quite a while.

forks: 15w fork oil & preload with stainless washers 1 1/8" outside diameter max. 3/8" stack for starters. They just go on top of the fork spring under the caps. Buy some extras if you think it needs to be stiffer. This mod really helps the nose dive while breaking & small jumps.

Good luck! :)

I made the mistake of getting the "mod" bug. Dropped 600+ on BBR bits.

Pipe

Front Springs

Rear Spring

Rev Box

Air Filter

+ .5" alloy shift lever

Honda "powerup" kit

12 tooth front sprocket

After all this its much better (responsive) than stock, but approaching the price of a used "real" bike. The 230 now has some good throttle response, enough TQ to pull the front end slightly up in low gears and can be jumped off the small stuff without bottoming out. Riding it back to back with a stocker it feels more precise in steering and has a bit more confidence with the power.

1) Rejet and toss airbox snorkle. The 230 is dead lean as shipped. Do a search on this topic... lots of posts. Bike will start and run much better.

2) Smaller countershaft sprocket. Drop one tooth from stock (13 is stock if I remember correctly). Makes the bike much more enjoyable to ride and much harder to stall.

3) Handguards to save you $$$ on broken levers.

Suspension is OK, given the bike's mission. My wife is around 130lbs with gear and is happy with the way the suspension works both for trail use and light moto. If your girlfriend rides hard enough to bottom the suspension, you need to think about a different bike.

MXbob, good point on the suspension. I dont even think she can roll most jumps yet, much less bottom the thing out.This is her first bike ever. Although I am very proud of her. We went to Ocotillo last week (her 2nd time on the bike) and she made it from holmes camp all the way to mud hills and back without falling or complaining once.

First Mods? Suspension and brakes!!!
Wha....?!! Brakes??????

????? :) ?????

On YOUR bike maybe. The brakes on our 230's are titz!

:)

Wha....?!! Brakes??????

????? :D ?????

On YOUR bike maybe. The brakes on our 230's are titz!

:D

the hell does that mean???

I agree, the 230's brakes suck. I dont see why they put drum on the back.

Honda claims "to add smooth steadly increasing braking power" :)

bull, disk slaps drum around and eats it 4 dinner.

:) all hail the disk brake :p

He does super motard with his bike. Higher speeds than the trails & a lot more brake usage. If you look at the stock motard (KTM for example) bikes you'll notice the brakes are a lot bigger than their dirt brothers. It's rare that I would need more brake but it could be a case of I don't know what I'm missing. Maybe better modulation of the rear brake would give more control.

Thanks toast.. I forgot. Sorry cdaledh. Your speeds are way faster than mine. The gnarliest stuff my brakes go thru are long steep downhills, and some of the braking is engine braking.

RfR, if your drum brakes are set up right like mine are, they will work as good as disk. You, my friend, need to read, re-read, then think about what you have just read before you reply. You could be a little friendlier in your posts.

thank you