Sign in to follow this  

How Can I Make The YZ250f Lighter

start replacing bolts with Titanium units

replace the engine guards and mounts with carbon fiber units.

See if you can find someone to make you a Ti subframe.

yamaha

also some specialty fastener supplies. Search the internet, but you will need to know the length and size (which can be found on the Yamaha parts fische)

Ti subframe, nah. had one on the 426. Super light!!! To bad Yamaha stopped making them.

I know the YDS factory and YMC use a lot of magnesium on the factory works bikes. Hubs, clamps, carbs, engine casings. But that is pretty much unobtainable unless you hit the Yamaha dealer clearance when they close that stuff out.

Is there any way I could make an 05 YZ250f lighter than stock?

Take the gas and other fluids out. :) But seriously, I dont see anything thats heavy on the yzf to be worth replacing. I think the stock exhaust is pretty light. Now with a bike like the 230, everything is heavy on it, take the kick stand and pipe off it and it would be 20 pounds liter. But like I said, on the yzf everything is already made pretty light so unless your an A rider with some good support from a carbon fiber company, I dont see it being worth it.

Yea, I wouldnt recomend this, unless your an A or B rider. Because that's when it will benifiet you. But to answer your question...

- Ti. Exhaust (It's already light enough)

- Ti. complete bold kit (saves about 4-5 lbs.)

- Carbon Airbox (2 lbs.)

- Aftm. chain drive system (1 lb.)

- Alumn. Handle bars (about 12 oz.)

- Ti subframe (about 3 lbs.)

- Magnesium case (about 2lbs.)

- Ti. Rear spring (2lbs.)

Also, you get the Ti. bolt kits at Mettec.

Just a complete ti bolt kit is close to a grand, that's a lot of green backs to save a few lbs. I thought about it when I had my 03 crf450, but after I did price to weight savings my wallet talked me out of it.

You can also save a shedload with Ohlins forks and clamps, but bring money!! ($3000?). Marzocchi also do nice 50mm lightweight forks. I hate to think how much they cost, but they are good.

A further benefit of aftermarket forks/clamps is that you can usually set them to work in eveything form soft sandy cross-country to hard packed MX tracks - they have a much better range of adjustment than stock. Plus, you can keep the fancy ones when you sell your bike and supply is 2nd hand with pristine stock forks.

As an alternative to expensive European race clamps, Topar racing make great aftermarket clamps which weight plenty less than stock and look great too. Worth checking out billet clamps - they save a bit of weight, look great and work better than stock.

Ti header and pipes are well worth it - I run a DEP 94db system on mine and it weights 5 lbs less than stock, with a good power return as well. White Bros do a trick carbon can for MX, but too loud for USFS events.

Carbon is great, but costs a lot for no net return in performance.

Also, a bit obvious, but fit the smallest gas tank you can get away with.

Don't forget that there are still **minimum** weight limits in most classes for Enduro!!

Is there any way I could make an 05 YZ250f lighter than stock?

lol.......I hear this all the time, it is cheaper to just lose the weight yourself than spend the money for your bike to lose the weight. :)

Take a dump right before you ride. It's never a problem for me about ten minutes before the green drops :)

Seriously, don't underestimate how much difference personal weight loss can make. I ride a mountainbike and can tell a night and day difference when I'm at my "ideal" weight of 160 instead of my normal 168-170. The climbs/acceleration are so much easier and the bike seems more flickable.

But if you must make your bike lighter a Ti shock spring and Ti aftermarket exhaust are probably your best bet and should offer a degree of increased performance to boot. I think the Yamaha triple clamps are gonna be tough to beat as far as weight goes but if a Ti steering stem is available, that might be worthwhile.

Good luck

The last I checked Aluminum is lighter than Titanium so the subframe might be lighter already depending on the year of bike and the stock triple clamps are about as light as you can get already.The new yz250f is almost the same as the aluminum cr250f already,within a 1lbs.