1974 Honda SL 350 twin

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dr. Clint is right, last year was "73. A buddy of mine just gave me a bunch of pics of his '73 SL350K2 that he wants to get rid of. If you look on ebay you'll see that decent shape units will bring in the $1800 to $2200 range. This one is in "good" shape with some cosmetic issues but runs great and has less than 4000 miles.

Snoop ebay to see what you have may be worth. I guess the toughest part to find on these is the exhaust as they tended to rot out.

Good luck..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If you are out in a rural area perhaps. I see issues in a more city setting. First is the brakes. I feel that the drum brakes just are not good enough for use in the city. The power is ok for lower speed roads, but I would not even consider going on the freeway.

As far as the frame flexing and suspension they suck compared to a modern bike, but I feel that the SL350 is OK as long as you live with it's limits.

My current around town bike that I use for my 7 mile commute to work is a 80 CM400. It has a newer generation engine with more juice. It came with a single piston caliper that was dismal. I upgraded to a two piston caliper and it really helped my stopping power. Just that one mod has saved me from a bad situation more than once.

I would love to ride an older classic like a SL, but I just would not feel safe riding one. That said it will work, just be more careful.

I've got a 71 SL350, makes a darned fine around town bike. The brakes while not incredible are actually fairly good.

You'd be surprised at the braking distance compared to some well loved modern bikes:

1971 Honda SL350 .............60-0 139 feet

1997 Kawasaki KLR650 ....... 60-0 134 feet

2005 Harley Davidson 883 ....60-0 134 feet

Only 5 feet longer from 60-0 than a 1997 KLR650 or 2005 HD 883 both of which have front and rear disc brakes!

Since the 71-73 SL350 only weighs 315 pounds with 1/2 a tank of fuel and has a low center of gravity it does quite well in the corners. 71-73 SL's use a lightweight thinwall tubing frame that is sought after by vintage Honda 350 racers due to it's strength and resistance to flex.

Here's a pic of my 1971:209313.jpg

You had to show a picture didn't you!! :eek: Now you have me looking for a SL350 or 175. ? THANKS Thats a awesome looking bike!!:applause:

Thanks . Yeah, I'm cruel. :ride: If you do get an SL350 look for a 71-73, they were lighter and much more fun to ride than the 69-70. I'd been looking for a decent rider quality one for some time & I found this late last year out in Washington State & had it shipped to TN.

I've got some new tires, cables & such for it & I'm going to freshen it up just a bit, but not so nice that I'm afraid to take it out. She's a rider; in fact I took it on a couple of easy trails near my house last week & had a ball!! Go get one!!

Back in late '71 I was in Alaska in the Army and a young GI had seen me racing my SL125 at the Fairbanks MX track. He asked me if I could help him get some more power from his '71 SL350 and I told him that the CB and CL engines put out several more hp than his new '71 did. Honda had pulled about 30 lbs off of the bike, but then they put on small port heads, small valves, small carbs and a fairly restrictive exhaust. Well, being a young GI, he just happened to have a CB350 engine sitting on the floor in his bedroom (I didn't ask why) and he asked me to swap the engine out while he was in the boondocks doing Army maneuvers. It gave me a couple of weeks and when he got back I had the swap done. Since it was Alaska in the early '70s we didn't worry too much about exhaust noise, so I cut his headpipes off to end right under the front of the engine, tuning them for about 9,500-10,000 rpms. We went to a big field near the river so he could try it out (it was only 1/2 a block from my house) and he fired it up. With a grin on his face from the sheer exhaust rumble, he snicked it into gear leaned it over a little and let out the clutch. At about the 3rd time that he spun in the same donut circle (he had just intended to pull it around and ride off in a straight line) he managed to get the clutch back in and catch his breath. He couldn't stop smiling from ear to ear and screaming as he rode wheelies back and forth across the dirt field.

Nice memories, long time ago!

Swiss

cb-cl 350 twin...

BOMB PROOF...

my father and i rescued a 71 CB 350 from my local recyclin center about 8 years ago, he has been running it since then with no aircleaners, takes it mud boggin, feild bombin and ive let a few buddys ride it,...its even starred in a productions class video for a freind...

just Will not DIE!

had 50k miles on the speedo and the cable was broken when we got it...

Also, my father BS'd a kawi KZ 400 front end and rear wheel on....