Sign in to follow this  

Removing Cap on a White Power Shock

I'm in the process of changing the oil in my White Power shock. The cap that seals the body (through which the shaft runs) is screwed into the body of the shock (unlike the Showas and KYB which are just pressed in) and has two holes in it for a pin wrench. My question is: is this MoFo reverse threaded 'cause I can't for the life of me get it to budge when trying to unscrew it in the conventional (unscrewing) direction. I practically lift my whole workbench up with the amount of torque I'm putting on it and the cap doesn't give.

Help!

No it is not threaded. You need to tap it out with a punch down wards via those holes.

This a WP shock, not a KYB or Showa. The holes are on the flat part of the cap, not the two little half-moon holes that are on the perimeter of the KYB/Showa caps. The holes are meant for a pin wrench.

I can read. Your welcome. :)

What year shock are you talking about? A nineties shock or something?

I bought it in '97 for my '96 KLX650.

It unscrews in the normal direction. That is an aluminum cap screwed into a steel body. You might try a heat gun to get some movement. It helps if you have a pin wrench with at least 12 inches of handle on each side of the shock. It will break loose, but most likely there is some electrolysis from the differing types of metal.

Ok. You might have saved some time telling us what year shock you were talking about. All the 21st century PDS shocks are pressed in. Last century? I don't know.

It unscrews in the normal direction. That is an aluminum cap screwed into a steel body. You might try a heat gun to get some movement. It helps if you have a pin wrench with at least 12 inches of handle on each side of the shock. It will break loose, but most likely there is some electrolysis from the differing types of metal.

Thanks Husky. I was thinking dissimilar metal chemical reaction too. Any chance of damaging anything inside (rubber pasrts?) with the use of a heat gun?

I've never had any damage from the heat gun. Propane torch is a different story. :)

Make sure you let the gas out and remove the valve stem from the reservoir before you start heating.