Sign in to follow this  

Installing a key switch

Considering I'm going to be dual-sporting my 250X soon, I was thinking how I'm going to keep it from getting stolen when I leave it out in the open for awhile. It's obvious that someone could come right along and start it up and ride away, so I thought it would be a good idea to install a key switch like those that come on factory dual sports. Has anybody else done this? How did you wire the switch into the ignition system? Also, where is a good mounting point for it? Thanks.

I am in the process of doing the same on my XR4 - after doing some looking around the Web, I found one of these switches on eBay. Nice switch, and it should work OK, but I wish I could source a wired female receptacle for the nice 4 pin connector that comes on the switch - no luck so far...

Wiring - I am going to tie it into the stock kill switch wiring. I am thinking of adding a hidden toggle/rocker switch on the same circuit if I have to park it in a 'bad neighborhood', but like the old saying goes, if they want it bad enough, it won't stop 'em.

Mounting - I have been tweaking my handlebar position a bit and I ended up with a set of these risers. Looking at the bottom center 'after' pic, I am making a stainless bracket/box with mounting tabs that will be sandwiched between the risers and the upper triple clamp. The ignition switch and the rocker switch for my heated grips will reside there.

I am not familiar with the cockpit/handlebar layout of the 250X, but common fasteners to pick up for a mounting bracket are the handlebar bolts, or the pinch bolts on the upper triple clamp.

If you aren't in a hurry, I can PM ya some pics as I work my way through my install.

What I often see on rego'd bikes here is a padlock through the holes in your front and rear brake rotor. They will still be able to get the bike if they really want it, but they will have to carry it or cut the padlocks with bolt cutters (kinda obvious what your trying to do then). Also putting a key on is usless if they really want the bike, after they've pinched it they could just cut the key off and rewire it back to stock. Pricks. :)

I was told the standard way to steal a bike in San Francisco was a van would pull up, four guys would pick up the sport bike and carry it into the van.

With a CRF250X, you had better keep it somewhere safe.

Insure it, pad lock it, hide it.

I put a lock on the chain/chain ring of my XR400 for short stops.

Thus avoiding the "Krypto Endo" when the lock is on the front disc.