Sign in to follow this  

Rear Axle Grease?

I just had a new rear tire fitted on my DR-Z400S, so I took the rear wheel off myself and took it to the shop. I noticed that the rear axle is lightly oiled (presumably just for ease of insertion and removal, since it doesn't rotate), and the spacers on either side have grease on them. According to my service manual 'Suzuki Super Grease "A"' should be used to lubricate the bearings behind the spacers. So, I have two questions:

1) What, if any, lubricant should I use on the axle itself?

2) Is there a generic grease I can use to pack in behind the spacers, which I can buy from my local auto parts store? Something cheaper than Suzuki brand?

Thanks!

I really like the Bel Ray waterproof grease. It's costs about

$ 4.50 from a motorcycle store. Just put a light coat on the axle and the wheel spacers. Don't pack a lot of grease on the spacers. It will just make a mess and not serve a purpose.

Lots of guys like Belray. I use Silkolene grease. The important thing is to use "some" grease not only on wheel bearings but swing-arm, pivot, shock bearings, head-set, speedo-gear seal, etc. Good luck... :)

((Will any automotive axle/bearing grease work ok or does it have to be for motorcycles only?))

If that's all you have, better than nothing.

Sure plain old bearing grease will work just fine and beats the heck out of a dry axle. Just use something on the poor thing. prairiedawg :)

Will any automotive axle/bearing grease work ok or does it have to be for motorcycles only?

Most grease will mix with water or turn real runny in any kind of temp.So most use, and love either bel ray or silkolene they are under 5 dollars for a tub and last a long time. Bel ray waterproof greas is awesome. :)

Sure plain old bearing grease will work just fine and beats the heck out of a dry axle. Just use something on the poor thing. prairiedawg :p

Grease, whats that fer :) I thought the bike was supposed to squeal like that :)