Sign in to follow this  

Advice needed for dialing in KX 250F suspension

I ride an 04 KX 250F. Have had it for a few months now. Love the bike, but still haven't got the stock suspension dialed in yet.

We road for about six hours in the woods and rough, rocky terrain last weekend. The front suspension is pretty brutal after awile.

I keep softening it up, but I'm only four clicks away from being totally soft on the compression.

I weigh about 160 lbs, and have the sag set at 100 mm. I've been going in one click on the rebound for every two clicks out on the compression. Does this sound right?

Any suggestions regarding the stock Kayaba suspension?

Changing the suspension fluid (front and rear) wouldn't hurt. You could also try running the fork oil a little on the low side. For trail riding, you could also consider softer springs.

Once the suspension breaks in, it seems to get a little plusher.

Good luck.

Try 16 clicks out on compression and rebound both. Change your fork oil to the HP Showa 5wt at the stock oil height. Then dis-able the bladders as mentioned. This will help quite a bit but it won't make it as plush as it should be. The forks on my 04 were, ok, there's no other work for it, HARSH. The forks don't respond to small clicker changes either. Try these settings and it makes the forks better, but not plush. For a quick fix, back out the adjusters 18 clicks on both and ride it. Then start clicking in. Sounds crazy that many clicks out, but on the 04 forks, it's what it took on mine. I was so frustrated trying to setup the front end, I just backed compression and rebound all the way out and rode it. Plus, bleed the air out of the forks with the bleeder screws.

when you get your money built up, instead of buying pointless exhaust for 700$ have your suspension re-valved for your riding style and type. Well worth the money. I didn't remove any of that bladder junk, just put gold valves and did a race-tech re-valve with quality oil and the proper springs for my weight and my suspension works great.