Sign in to follow this  

Hey video guys....

Does anyone know what the average size of recorded video on a MiniDV camcorder is? 640x480? 320x240? Has anyone ever tried any of those portable media centres? Like this linky

I want to get a helmet camera and I've got a camcorder but its rather large. I thought if I got one of those Personal Media dealios it may be nicer to ride with. Any thoughts?

video size is determined by your compression (which you set), and the resolution of your cam. the PVR's are nice. Jonescam.com and another company sells them as a complete kit. I looked at going that route, but you could buy 3 camcorders for what those things cost. :)

I believe straight off the tape is usually 720x480 @ 29.97 Frames per second for mini DV tape.... Maybe :) (Assuming NTSC format.. not PAL)

I believe straight off the tape is usually 720x480 @ 29.97 Frames per second for mini DV tape.... Maybe :) (Assuming NTSC format.. not PAL)

You are correct, sir. Compression only affects the file size, not the pixel dimensions, and that's only after you download it to your computer and select a format type (MPEG 1 or 2, AVI, etc...). At that point, you can choose a different dimension to save file space, but All NTSC MiniDV is recorded at 720X480 in the camcorder.

here in the U.S. its 720x480.(NTSC) Canada depends on whether its NTSC or PAL camera? Pal is like 756, 512 or somthing. Your tv, and most regular tvs are 640x480 so there will be some clipping. hope this helps