Sign in to follow this  

04 CRF450 gold valve help

Just bought an 04 crf450 which Has gold valves front and rear. My problem is it was valved for mx and supercross. I want to use it in enduro's and require softer valving for the forks. this guy sent it out to be done and has no information for revalving. Can anybody pm me a shim stack config for it. I want to leave the standard springs in with really plush valving for rocks and tree roots. I don't have a code or anything for the race tech web site. I can do the valving myself but looking for a starting point.

thanks in advance :)

Where are the clickers set at. You may get what you wish, simply by setting the clickers different. I would try that first. Go softer on the comps front and rear, and see if you get your results you wished for. Another thing to try, is lower the outter chamber holds somewhat like 370 ccs or something. You can gain softer plushness by lowering the oil by 10 cc's. I did that and noticed a huge difference, but started bottoming on really large jumps. If you are not in danger of bottoming, I would definitely try those two things first, before getting into the shims. Good luck.

Thanks but I've tried the clickers and found that I can't get it where i want it, fussy in my old age, Havn't lowered the oil yet but that will mostly only effect bottoming at the end of the stroke. Need the plushness at the start of the stroke

Ok, sorry, thought it might be easy fix. I would say, if you have shims, the two largest one's in the stack need to be skinnier, but the same width as the one's that are in there. That will work on the light bumps. Second, make sure they actually are running cartridge fork oil. Some people like to put thicker oil in like 2.5 or 5 weight fork oil in. Cartridge fork oil is very thin like water. Lastly, yeah, mostly affects the large bumps, but I did notice a difference on the smaller one's as well by lowering the fork oil. I went down 10-15 cc's. Good luck.

Hey hows it going. I could help you out with the race tech work sheets. I have an 04 crf with gold valves. I'm a suspension guru. What is your weight? I can send you the information on valve stacks, springs and oil level. Only one problem i see is that if your bike has type 2 gold valves, they are designed for supercross. If they are type 1 you'll have better results. I have race tech recommended settings for 145lbs through 210lbs rider, with perfered soft and stiff settings.

Bikedude. that would be excellent :):p about 180 pounds in your lingo or 82kilos in ozzie talk. check your pm's and I will leave my email address It was set up mostly for mx so i would think they would be type 1

I have also a CRF 250 x and suspension like that but a bit stiffer would be excellent

Thanks again

:)