Sign in to follow this  

SMTS trail ride Newhall to Gorman

Looking for riders interested in the www.smts.info trail from Newhall to Gorman. For those that aren't familiar with the smts trail system the route to Gorman is mostly fire road with a few single track sections scattered along the route. For some trail shots of the route check here: http://www.intergate.com/~sue/4wd_Trails/SMTS/Gorman_single_track/gorman_singletrack.htm

My bio:

Age: 49, Intermediate rider and at 49 will probably never be fast

Bike: Yamaha XT600, The crippled dual sport version with partially functional suspension thanks to works performance shock/fork revalve and springs.

The eventual goal here is to gather a group to ride the entire www.smts.info route from Mexico to Gorman, probably a 4 to 5 day trip.

:) Any interest in trying the Newhall-Gorman loop?

From Newhall its about 35 miles on the smts trail to Lake Hueghs or 54 miles if you take the long way through Drinkwater Flats. Then from Lake Hueghs its about 45 miles to Gorman. So 80 miles the short way, 100 miles the long way, 50 miles between gas stops.

I usually take the old ridge route to get back to Newhall. It is a fun ride.

I can make 100 mile easy! I have some friends w/o plates can they also do the ride or is it DS only?? If so Me and my Brother would be interested.

It is going to have to be a dual sport. I don't see any other way to fuel up in Gorman :)

That looks like a great ride--if this rain ever stops, I'm ready to go. If you have a proposed date, PM me or post it here.

I'd like to do the ride also. I did it on the day after Xmas. Started at Rowher Flat, rode thru Drink Water to Lake Hughes, then to the old ridge route, we were running short on daylight so we didn't go to Gorman. We rode down the ridge route to Castaic. Then up Lake Hughes road several miles to a dirt road (don't remember the number right now). Then thru drink water and back to Rowher. The last hour was in the dark. 140 miles. I heard that the Ridge Route was closed until funds could be found to make repairs. I know we could get thru but I wonder what the ranger would do if he caught us on that road.

It rained pretty hard this weekend as well. I will check with the Forest Service next week to see if the routes are open.

I live in Castaic and would like explore that area too. Let me know when you guys go.

I live in Castaic and would like explore that area too. Let me know when you guys go.

I live in camarillo, you can count me in on that.

The little single track section you're talking about is a lot of fun,,, I've road it a few times,,, Actually wanted to add it in to the Ride for Kids route last year, but got turned down,

It's a lot of fun going down,, going up is a more challenging

As you can see for the pics, it's tight, but fun

xfool

yeah, i'll show up for the ride.

what gps are you using, i see you have a pda set up on your ride. i download your data (oziexplor) and converted it to .gpx to play with it..some of the data lost thiere timestamps.. looks like you truck the bike to another spot as the data is discontinuous. what mapping software are you using, oziexplorer.

some of the data looks like it is only 2D, is this from tree obstruction

I would also be interested. Im trying to get guys to ride in the castaic area. Do a Google search, dual sport riders in castaic.

Forest Service trail closures. Check the SouthWest ride form for news on the SMTS ride.