Sign in to follow this  

SMTS trail ride Newhall to Gorman

Looking for riders interested in the www.smts.info trail from Newhall to Gorman. For those that aren't familiar with the smts trail system the route to Gorman is mostly fire road with a few single track sections scattered along the route. For some trail shots of the route check here: http://www.intergate.com/~sue/4wd_Trails/SMTS/Gorman_single_track/gorman-singletrack.htm

My bio:

Age: 49, Intermediate rider and at 49 will probably never be fast

Bike: Yamaha XT600, The crippled dual sport version with partially functional suspension thanks to works performance shock/fork revalve and springs.

The eventual goal here is to gather a group to ride the entire www.smts.info route from Mexico to Gorman, probably a 4 to 5 day trip.

:) Any interest in trying the Newhall-Gorman loop?

Any interest in trying the Newhall-Gorman loop?

Absolutely.

I've already ridden the first half of this route many times, from Rowher flat to Lake Hughes. But do want to make it all the way to Gorman and back. This would be a pretty long ride, easily more than 100 miles. All day weekend rides don't work well for me due to family commitments. But I would be willing to give it a shot on a Friday. A few others here on TT would probably enjoy the ride too.

This sounds great. I like all day rides. Makes getting the bike all nasty worth it. I'm also available on Fridays. Will the bike need to be streetable for any portion of the ride?

Going from Mexico to Gorman sounds like a hoot also. :)

Newhall to Gorman is between 80 and 100 miles depending on how long you fool around in Drinkwater Flats.

It pretty much takes all day to get there and back. I usually come back on the old ridge route but with the recent rains that may be closed. :)

Friday would be O.K. but I'm really hoping for a weekend.

Mexico to Gorman would definitely be a hoot :)

To gas up in Gorman you will need street registration. If we can ride the old ridge route back to Newhall you would need street registration. What are you riding?

Been all over the area(s) being a local.Lotsa road closures right now.You probably need to have a plate.I'm up for it ,but weekends only.

Wpt 3: (n34 44.068', w118 42.403')

The first time you do this trail start from the ridge route and go up. There is some "freakish" side hill exposure near the bottom. :p It is better to start out on this part rather than end up on the side hill after a long decent off the ridge. Experienced riders may laugh at the exposure, it's a good trail with no steps or steep climbs. But if you are uncomfortable on single track or you find yourself tip toeing along on a tall suspension you may find yourself trapped on a narrow trail with your legs Elvising on the foot pegs while picking your way along a steep side hill. Check out the alleged "freakish" exposure at the bottom first. If you don't like the trail you can bail. If you are OK with it then run the trail either way. Starting from the top you may find yourself trapped on a narrow single track with nowhere to turn around.

Sounds great, all except this. Maybe could describe this side hill thing a little better. Does "freakish" mean 100ft drop on your right with 6 inches of footing for the bike? Please describe this section in different terms. I think my DRZ-400S should make even if your XT is lighter. :)

After all this rain I expect the trail will be filled with all kinds of new obstacles and whatnot. :)

I take my drz on 6" trails with nasty drops on either side no problems the bike likes it tough. :)

After seeing a bunch of you're posts I'd guess you're in the AV and ride with PalmdaleRider alot.

What kind of bikes do guys ride, where do you like to ride the most in our area? :)

After seeing a bunch of you're posts I'd guess you're in the AV and ride with PalmdaleRider alot.

What kind of bikes do guys ride, where do you like to ride the most in our area? :p

I live in Ventura county and have never ridden with Palmdalerider but I have wanted to and plan to work it out one day soon. :) My fav place to ride is Jawbone, second is Bishop But I like anywhere as long as my wheels are turning. :)

I live in Ventura county and have never ridden with Palmdalerider but I have wanted to and plan to work it out one day soon. :) My fav place to ride is Jawbone, second is Bishop But I like anywhere as long as my wheels are turning. :)

What kind of bike you ride? :p

From the sounds of this ride I'd take the KLX 300. It's streetable. I just picked up a YZF426 today :) , it's a sweet ride but probably too large a handful for me for this ride.

I prefer weekends also, but Fridays work also.

Pick a date that works best for you. Right now with the weather its anybody's guess, next week or next month. :)

I guess I'm not seeing what I was after so I figured it would be easier just to ask. Is this newhall to gorman a dual sport bike ride or can a green stickered bike make it?

I live in the santa clarita area and never knew there was a way up to gorman that didn't intail paved roads and would like to make a ride like this some day.

thanks

doug

You can make it from Rowher to Gorman 98% off road,but there is a small section in lake hughes(lake elizabeth?) maybe a mile or two of pavement to connect fireroads.One way would be a LONG ride ,round trip (back the same way) would be a very long ride.And you have to ride street to gas up in Gorman or Green Valley. ..............unless someone knows a different way? :)

Xfool,

Your website is excellent. It obviously took a lot of work to prepare. Lots of good info there on local DS and 4x4 trails. Check it out.

R

Hey OldSkewl!

The bottom of the single track off of Liebre mountain traverses a steep sandy side hill. It is not a 100 ft cliff but at least 100 feet of slope to the bottom of the canyon. Whish I had a photo.

The trail across the slope is probably 2 ft wide but looks more like 6" when you are on it. When I was there, there weren't any obstacles, the climb wasn't steep, nothing technical but the exposure was freakish IMO and I would hate to see anybody high side it over the edge. So I put the warning out there.

You are going to have to look at it for yourself, all I can do is promise to help you through there.

My longer term goal here is to get a group together that wants to take on the SMTS Mexico to Gorman route. Until we have a better idea of each other's capability there is really no way to describe any of these trails.es