Sign in to follow this  

450 sx Jetting

Here is another thread about jetting. I have an 04 450 sx. I ordered a new exhaust system and JD jet kit. right now the carb has a 185 main and a 48 pilot the clip is in the forth position. does anyone have suggestions on jetting setup my new parts should be here next week and I would like to get it right the first time. also someone said to cut the backfire screen out of the air filter. He is one of those Honda know it all guys whose bike is always in the shop. thanks for your help

The screen has plenty of area so there is no need to mess with it and incur that slight risk of burning the bike down, the JD kit will come with excellent instructions. The stock pipe is unrestrictive enough that any effect the pipe change will make should be insignificant to jetting

Leave the screen in. My 520 never had one, but I'm not going to cut it out of my 450.

The JD Kit will have good instruction on the jetting!

I would get an adjustable air screw while you are at it. I ordered the factory KTM one, and it is nice. I find the air screw does more for the jetting than the majority of the changable jets.

My 450 runs best with stock jetting, PC T-4 pipe, near sea level.