Sign in to follow this  

How to get a title

I am wanting to sell my motorcycle to pay off the financing loan so that i can get another motorcycle. I have the bike red stickered but do not have a title. Can i just go to CA DMV and request a title or would my financing have to be paid off for me to get the title. I need to sell it so that i can pay it off.

thanks

hondacrf450

Whoever the loan company is that you are paying holds the title to your bike.They won't release the title to you until you have paid it off. Usually, when you want to sell something like that you have the new buyer go down with you to the loan co., pay it off, then the loan co. will give the buyer the title.

By their nature, a Title means you have "title" to the bike and can sell it. Right now your finance company has the title. When you pay it off, they should send it to you. You might want to contact the finance company and ask if they can do a loan transfer to a new person should you sell the bike, or if they can start a new loan for a buyer. Having that worked out in advance will make it easier.