Sign in to follow this  

nikasil?

after riding last weekend i noticed some oil in the airbox, I read multiple posts that recommend a new top end, and it was probably time for a rebuild. Last night i took the cylinder off and it looks pretty good but i thought it could probably use a hone so i took it to the shop, they told me it was nikasiled and therefore couldn't be honed. So, is this cylinder plated, and if so is it worth the price to hone and replated or should i just buy a new cylinder? cost isnt a huge factor i am more worried about performance and durrability.

I will probably be rebuilding it with a weisco piston, and was thinking of going to the 12.5:1, any thoughts on that? One last thing the bike is for racing SuperMoto only no trails or motocross.

Thanks

it is plated.i would have somone with a dial bore gauge check to make sure its demensionally sound.if so,just run a quick ball hone thru it.

i would go with the JE 13.5 to 1 piston.

From the performance standpoint, choose your piston and send it to Millenium or MaxPower to have it replated with the correct clearance to your piston.

Most shops don't have the hone required to do much more than break the glaze.

After getting your cylinder back from the replate, take ATF or WD and with a clean rag wipe the cylinder till it comes out clean, then assemble.

after riding last weekend i noticed some oil in the airbox, I read multiple posts that recommend a new top end, and it was probably time for a rebuild.

Do the 450's have an oil catch tube below the carb like the 250's? The reason I ask is that oil in the airbox usually means you just need to drain the oil catch tube.

all the wisecos ive used in crf's have had way to much clearance.

the JE's are always right at .0015".

That's right Eddie...The Wisecos come with .003" clearance. I send my cylinder in to tighten up to .0015".

Do the 450's have an oil catch tube below the carb like the 250's? The reason I ask is that oil in the airbox usually means you just need to drain the oil catch tube.

Yes Skip, they do have the same tube.

you might want to check with wiesco before you run it tighter than .003 , the wiesco might expand more at operating temp than other brands :)

you might want to check with wiesco before you run it tighter than .003 , the wiesco might expand more at operating temp than other brands :)

The tighter clearance works fine with the Wiseco.

...choose your piston and send it to Millenium...

Millenium is top drawer. Send 'em your cylinder and piston and they'll take care of it like pros. You'd be surprised how many big names use these guys.

http://www.mt-llc.com/

Millenium is top drawer. Send 'em your cylinder and piston and they'll take care of it like pros. You'd be surprised how many big names use these guys.

http://www.mt-llc.com/

You left Maxpower out of my quote :) They also do a very good job! :)

My CRF always had oil in the tube. Even when it was brand new. Plugged the airbox and ran the tube straight from the head to the exit. No more oil in the tube or in my airbox. ALways hated that setup anyway.

James

I get oil in mine as well, not much, usually some moisture in there as well?

How does that tell if you have a good ring seal or not?? Are you referring to the crankcase pressure staying consistant or something like that??

when the rings are not seated or worn the extra blow by makes them expell the oil you see in the tube.they seem to do it when they have to much oil in them also.