Sign in to follow this  

Drive Chain Question

I need help! The Honda 2004 CRF250X owners manual states that the stock chain is DID 520 MXV-116LE, The Honda Parts Manual states that it is a DID 520 MXV-120ZB. I assume that the Honda Parts Manual is correct.

The Honda Wrench from March or May of 04 says that the 520 MXV is a "D" Ring Chain and you should not use an O-ring chain because it will be too wide and rub on on the case causing damage.

I am dropping down to a 51 rear sprocket because of the CCC mods and need a new chain. I want to keep the original chain for the stock 53 rear sprocket/sand paddle combination so splitting it and adding a master link is out.

My question is - where other than Honda can you purchase the DID 520 MXV or what other chains are you using?

You really should look into the DID ERT gold chain. They're not O ring, it's the same width as your stock chain, it won't stretch as bad as your stock chain, and it looks trick. Plus it's only $48 from Rockymountainatv.com.

You really should look into the DID ERT gold chain. They're not O ring, it's the same width as your stock chain, it won't stretch as bad as your stock chain, and it looks trick. Plus it's only $48 from Rockymountainatv.com.

Won't stretch as bad as stock? I reckon the stocker is as good as i have ever used on a dirt bike. 700 + miles on mine and 3 - 4 adjustments. Can't complain about that. Both sprockets are on the way out, but when checked the chain had very little sideways bend.

It's not uncommon to have differences in publications from manufacturers, things change during production, publication dates, and who knows what else. Any D-ring chain will work fine. ERT is a good chain, and cheaper than Honda's I think.

yep, that's the one i use too! :) did ert 120 gold chain.. it's awesome!!!