Horsepower gains from Cam, Piston, Carb ????

I am about to purchase a Wiseco 10.5:1 piston and a stage 2 Hotcam. Then an Edelbrock or some other flat slide carb. Also if the cylinder needs boring I will do it obviously. Though I doubt it. It only has 8000 KM on it.

Anyway the bike has a Yoshi slip on, uni filter and Dyno jet kit with 160 main. Holes drilled in the carb ( 5/32).

What kind of power gains will I see???

Mike

I am about to purchase a Wiseco 10.5:1 piston and a stage 2 Hotcam. Then an Edelbrock or some other flat slide carb. Also if the cylinder needs boring I will do it obviously. Though I doubt it. It only has 8000 KM on it.

Anyway the bike has a Yoshi slip on, uni filter and Dyno jet kit with 160 main. Holes drilled in the carb ( 5/32).

What kind of power gains will I see???

Mike

I'd expect to see mid to high 40HP range. Low 50s if you also do some porting, an oversize header and replace the stock carb with an FCR or Mikuni flatslide or Edelbrock. But you should probably also budget for an oil cooler, as the engine will run considerably warmer with that setup.

Keep in mind too that the entire characteristics of the powerband are going to change, especially with a stage 2 cam. You won't have much bottom, but lots of midrange and high rpm power.

Personally, I don't want that kind of motor in my bike, but it might be right for you.

Will this set up actually take away from the low end characteristics of a stock 650R motor? I understand that it will improve the mid and high end but (hopefully) preserve the great stock low end power. A header will move the power away from the low end for sure. If you are riding in more open spaces, supermoto or desert, this sounds like a good set up. ?

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were referring to an XRL although I guess the same theory would apply to both. ?

Yes, I believe a stage 2 cam will boost the high and midrange at the expense of the low end. A stage 1 would be a broader powerband but with less max hp than a stage 2.

I don't think a stage 2 is a good choice for anything but a race bike, and an XR650L will never be a good race bike anyway.

I didn't know Hotcams made a stage two for the L? Are you sure about that?

I thought they did. I just want a cam that is going to keep MOST of the low snap and give me alot more mid-high pull. I don't think the stage 1 will give me what I am looking for by the sounds of it. I want the bike to have alot of top end charge.

I didn't know Hotcams made a stage two for the L? Are you sure about that?

I don't think they do. They don't show anything other than a Stage 1 on their website, and other sites that carry their cams don't show any others for the XR650L either.

Web Cams makes several different grinds for the L though. The Web Cams cams become a pretty expensive proposition though when you consider that they all need to have the rocker arms hard welded ($65 each), and since they are higher lift you also need new valve springs and shorter valve guides.

Personally, I think if you are looking for that kind of performance, the XR650L is a poor platform to start with. A water cooled motor like the XR650R is much better suited to those horsepower levels.

I don't think they do. They don't show anything other than a Stage 1 on their website, and other sites that carry their cams don't show any others for the XR650L either.

Web Cams makes several different grinds for the L though. The Web Cams cams become a pretty expensive proposition though when you consider that they all need to have the rocker arms hard welded ($65 each), and since they are higher lift you also need new valve springs and shorter valve guides.

Personally, I think if you are looking for that kind of performance, the XR650L is a poor platform to start with. A water cooled motor like the XR650R is much better suited to those horsepower levels.

You are correct that the 650 R is a more potent contender. But it I would have waited up to 2 months to get one new from honda where im from. They had the L in stock so that was the bike I bought. Anyway, I wonder if Edelbrock or Comp cams makes a grind for the L motor? I think I can get SOME power out of the L motor yet. Especially with the air in eastern Canada. Wicked wicked air. My race car runs 3 tenths faster home than anywhere in north america.

Some company must make an affordable healthy cam for the L. ??????

Mike

• 2 weeks later...