Sign in to follow this  

rmz vs crf vs yzf

alrighty then heres my deal, i currently have a 01 426, which i love, unfortuantly, i rode a crf 450 once, and now i want something as lite and easy to ride as that this one was a 03 i think. im looking at next year to buy a new one, due to i just do not make crap loads of money.

anyway here is what i am using my yz for right now. i ride alot of trails here in michigan, lots O sand, in them. i also joined a motocross club last year, and i was having a blast doing that to, but through out the year overall i ride more trails than i do track. now i like my 5 speed, for the realy slow technical sections of the trails, but i never use it at the track.

now this all being said ive been a suzuki fan for some time, with thier street stuff. has anybody rode the rmz 450 in trails yet and can give me some feed back on how they are in the trails.

now the ride i had on the 03 crf450 was great i didnt realized how much harder i had to work to go the same speed on my 426 than he did on that 450, mainly due to it turned better, and how lite it was.

i included the yzf but only if in 06 they go to a aluminum frame and make it lite to.

now i only have the cfr to go by as a mesuring stick, and i liked it, but everybody has one around here, at the track its almost all cfr 450's, and im sure with as much as everybody around here likes the cfr250x that im seeing in the woods, ill be seeing the 450x alot to.

now some of you might say why dont you go to x due to i ride more in the trails, well ive never liked what they do to the trail version of a motox bike, they always make the bike lesser version of the moto bike(the suspension isnt as good, brakes, tires, controls ect) but they did do a nice job on the 250x i rode.

so this bike will basicly be more or less stock ill throw a pipe with spark and db reducing capibillity on it, and then it will be armoring it up for the woods, and getting a bigger long range tank for the long trails. all of which i will take off for track, and put back on it for the woods.

so would the rmz 450 be as good or better in the woods than the crf i guess, and has anybody heard anything yet on the litgher better yzf. :)

any input appreaciated.

yea i am hoping the year i am waiting to get a new bike will also alow the aftermarket to grow so i have goodie's to buy when i go get one. if you do any trail riding let me know how you liked it. now you say it has alot of low end power, this i like. :) at least for our michigan trails its nice to have lots of low end.

I own a 05 crf 450 and its awsome bike, But... From early reports I feel the RMZ is also very good! The RMZ's power is very strong on the bottom end, and it turns like a typical suzuki (Very good). It might even be a little better than the crf for trail riding! You can't go wrong with either bike, it might come down to who has the better dealer in your area! Oh about the yzf, Ive ridden a few of them, they are fast but not as civivlized as the honda, they feel heavy in the corners.

I agree with pokoj. If the RMZ is in fact stronger down low, and turns better, I would strongly consider a RMZ. I would like to ride one myself and see what the 4 speed is like first though. My main complaints with my 03 were 1st gear was too high, and the front end pushed way too much. Both of those were easily fixed. I spend a good amount of time in the cc trails, but I consider myself more of a mx rider still, so I broke down and bought an 05 CRF.

I doubt you could go wrong with either bike.. As for the X, I don't know. I doubt I'll ever buy one as and I have no intrest in riding an under suspended tank.

hey thanks for the input, on these, well ill keep whatching this forum to see what is going on and hopefully suzuki does well enough to see how the bike is working. im sure yoshimura will come out with a hole slu of goodies for it. and if it turns a llittle better and has more snap of the bottem then it may be better suited to the trail stuff than the crf. i haven rode the 450x so i dont know how it handels but the 250x handels great in the trails, i just prefer the extra grunt in some of the hilly area's up north like tomahawk trails with some of the longest uphills ever woooo hooo. :) again thans for the input.

I love my 03 crf for most of michigan riding except for tight trails like a lot of them at Tomahawk. When we went there last year the only mods I had were a o-ring chain and 51 tooth sprocket.

I have since added a heavier flywheel and think I would pick up a 52 sprocket for more rides up there. Rekluse would probably help, but not sure I want to spend the money.

Seemed like the guys on 250f's and 125's were way more agile and faster in the tight stuff.

yea the realy fast guy who was up there with us, was on a ktm 200sx, he was insane though, i tried to keep with him but the 426 just plain weighs to much for hanging with him in the tight stuff. the spot i noticed the bigger motor advatage was on the up hills at tomahawk were i was able to pull a gear higher and keep accerating the 250f's needed to down shift on a few of the hills. i want to keep with this type of grunt but drop weight and icrease the handling, this (in theroy) should help me go faster hehe weather faster will help is the question hehe :) the weight and the handeling are realy the only thing im looking to improve ohh and having auto decompression, and yes i know they have a cam for mine that does that. like i said my yz426 does every thing i have ever tried to do with it well, i just shouldnt have ever rode that crf 450 than i wouldnt know how much easyer it was to go that fast. im also thinking the lower wieght will help in endurace on the longer trails, and at the track, being im not throwing around the extra poundage, on the lighter bikes.