Sign in to follow this  

stupid question of the day

im thinking about getting a yz250 but i dont know how its going to be in the trails. maybe i will just stay with the thumper. what do you think ?

The YZ250 (especially the '05 model) is a pure hard-core MX bike. I'm not saying you cant use it in the trails, but I think you would have more fun on a trail bike or a four-stroke MX bike like a YZ250F or 450F. Also try the WR.

Doug

it depends what part of the powerband your talking about...so its kinda like comparing apples and oranges. Not that i know THAT much about this, but i would say the 250f has much more torque low end than ANY two stroke, but once you get in the meat of the powerband, prob the 250 is better. just my two cents.

i guess i will stay with my 250f but i dont like chnaging the oil every other ride! i also dont like the chance of having a valve or something to go wrong. I think a 2 stroke is a simple engine and mods are very cheap for them too. 2 strokes are good but you gotta know how to use the power. 4 strokes make excellent trail bikes though and decent mxbikes. what i am looking at right now is an all around good bike. yz250f is just that but i dont look forward to shimming my valves or chnaging them or having to buy a new cam chain and cam sprocket and all the other stuff if something goes wrong. 4 strokes are going to keep getting built better but until then maybe i should ride a 2 stroke even though i like the feel of the 4 stroke more.

it depends what part of the powerband your talking about...so its kinda like comparing apples and oranges. Not that i know THAT much about this, but i would say the 250f has much more torque low end than ANY two stroke, but once you get in the meat of the powerband, prob the 250 is better. just my two cents.

I can tell you've never ridden a two-stroke before. I just got off an '05 YZ250, and I'm here to tell you...it has WAY more torque than the YZ250F. Its insane.

Doug

I can tell you've never ridden a two-stroke before. I just got off an '05 YZ250, and I'm here to tell you...it has WAY more torque than the YZ250F. Its insane.

they are crazy fast arent they ? :) im just afraid of riding it in the woods though

a yz250f 05 has like 18 ft/lbs of torque, and the 05 yz250 has around 30 ft/lbs torque, there is no comparison.

this information is from my TransWorldMotocross magazines