Sign in to follow this  

Body armour or Jacket with guards???

Hello. Just wondering what most people wear on their top-halves for riding. My bike is nearly ready to be taken off-road (just waiting for my Tonns skidplate - DRZ400S '02) for the 1st time and the only thing missing is a jacket. I don't know whether to go with chest protector, shoulders, elbows and a waterproof enduro jacket...or buy a jacket with guards in. Would probably be the same price!!! Any ideas....pros and cons etc?? Thanks. Craig

Enduro Jacket with the guards is probably a good way to go, until summer.

You do have summer there, right? :)

I recently switched from using a chest protector, elbow pads, and kidney belt

to a 661 pressure suit that has them all integrated. It also has better back

protection then most chest protectors. I use it for snowboarding and mountain biking as well.

I can throw it on alone or under any jacket I already have. Do a search

in the general forum, there was a thread with links to them for $100.

I would recommend one of the padded armour vests then a jacket on top. You can get some hardwearing goretex kit from your local army surplus store for around £20, the Dutch issue is one of the best. It might not be trendy but it keeps you dry and when you rip it on thorns or by throwing yourself and the bike down a lane it is cheaper to replace than an armoured jacket. In the summer you can keep the armour and wear a race shirt if the weather is nice and you don't end up sweating buckets.

Iain

I'm intriguied by that 661 pressure suit that I read about this fall here in TT. It sounds like the answer to a lot of the things I used to wear in just one single garmet plus they were wearing it in Florida in the summertime. Man it is hot down there. This sounds like a dream come true for me. Throw a light longsleeve t-shirt on and be set. It sure beats wearing all that other junk. prairiedawg :):):p

I just bought a jacket from ebay has the protectors built into it on the elbows,shoulders and back. Maybe not as strong as the seperate kit but will do for my style of riding and most importantly only cost 26 quid :)

Check out the Rock Gardn flack jacket under thumper talk tested. http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.com/store.asp After much research between it and the 661, I got this little baby. I got one, its about the same price as the 661 pressure suit, but mine is AWESOME. Low heat, excellent shoulder, back arm, kidney belt protection. The articulated back is also top notch. It no where near as bulky as a chest protector, but the back being right next to you can get hotif it gets above 80 degrees. I wear mine under my jersey and look like a real he man. It is a great unit! Also the sizes run a little small (at least in US sizes) I wear an XL T shirt - 6'2", 210; but I had to get the 2x, 3x size, after ordering the xl. They are also great to work with, it was no problem to return it for the bigger size. :D:):):p:D

The RockGardn Flack Jacket looks like a nice all in one for the upper half, looks like it's pretty easy on/off with the zipper. How does it breathe, and how restricting does it feel, and how long does it take to get used to it?

iainross - You have any links for that army jacket ?? I'd be interested in seeing it, but honestly, I can't imagine that it does much more than just protect from road rash in the event of a fall, no? :)

I just love TT!!! This is only the 2nd time I've posted and everyone always comes up trumps!!! Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'll go for the seperate armour with a waterproof jacket. I think Iain was saying to use an army waterproof/gortex over the body armour...lot's cheaper than a 'proper' enduro jacket that could get torn easily and expensively!!! Thanks again

I second the 661 pressure suit. I was also debating what kind of protection to get when I saw lots of folks talking about the 661 on TT. I got it and love it. Everything rolled into one garment and the mesh that its built into breaths pretty good. Seemed easier to me than getting varous components.

661 pressure suit is awesome. I use it for dirt and for street I just wear my leather jacket over it. Perfect multipurpose and has saved my butt on the dirt more than 1x! :)

I really like my Rock Gardn Flack. The material that holds all the padding together is a very stretchy, breathable fabric. The back is good too, it holds you up straight in the saddle. The entrire suit is MUCH coooler than any chest protector I've ever worn (I have worn a lot). I could see the back becoming like vinyl seats in the summer when it is hot.

Yeah the 661 is sweet... make sure to get the 2005 ones tho.. even though they cost a bit more they have a built in hard chest protector. The only real problem with the pressure suits is that they are a pain in the ass to get in and out of compared to a jacket.

I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket in the summertime.. it looks great, has elbow, shouler, forearm, and back protection... you can get them on ebay for 50-100 bucks.

I also just ordered an Icon Field Armor vest.... I havent had a chance to try it out yet, but it is the only thing I have ever seen that has full torso protection, including ribs, kidney, sternum, back... everything but the arms... You can get it for as little as 80 bucks online, I am gonna wear that under my Fieldsheer jacket. It is made for urban use.

If you are gonna be offroad more, get the pressure suit.

Look into the fieldsheer winter/summer jacket ! Mine has elbow, forearm,shoulder and spine protector pads! It has a removable warm liner for change of seasons loads of pockets easy to get in and out of and it was pretty cheap to boot! It list at $170 but got it on sale for $99.00. I went down in that jacket on Mt Antero out in Colorado and let me tell you they work very well ! The jacket along with knee pads inside my alpinestars and it pretty much gives my helmet some worth while company :)