Sign in to follow this  

How to remove rubber from pipes?

Curious if anyone has any cool tricks for remover dried up shoe rubber off some chrome pipes? HOpefully there is some other trick than steel wool, as I really dont' want to scratch the chrome up. It's actually on my touring bike, VX800. I gave a gentleman a ride to his car after running out of gas and he didn't pull the peg down, but instead rested his foot on the pipe for 10 mins! The entire bottom of his shoe was melted to my bike. At least I have most of it off except for a crispy residue. I tried scraping it with a rubber/plastic and very hard scraper but not dice.

:p:D:D

At first i thought you meant :o;):)

just dont use a coat hanger :D:D

did you try to use any chemicals to soften it up alittle?

just remember chrome dont get ya home, helps with the resale though :)

good luck

I've cleaned plenty of boot rubber off chrome pipes over the years (used to maintain Harley demo' fleet.....), and i've found that mild steel wool (the fine stuff, not the shiny SS wool) and metal polish (the paste works best) usually gets it off. It'll probably take a while, but it's the only way, without scratching the pipes. Also, when you tried scraping the excess rubber off, did you have the pipes hot? It often helps to get them hot to get the majority off, then let them cool before the steel wool/polish job to finish off. :)

I've never tried this, but may be worth a try, take your bike for a run to get it hot again and if the rubber is soft wipe it off with a rag

Yes I tried and got the majority of the rubber off while the pipe was still hot. Also tried scraping and wiping it off with a rack and plastic scraper while it was cold as well. I have been recommended to also use Oven Off or Brake cleaner. What do you think of that? Will try the steel wool as my last resort, only because I've done it beofre and it got it off but still were very light scratches in the chrome with the fine stuff and using oil as a lubricant. I've not tried the chrome or metal plish with it however.