Sign in to follow this  

Mental Mind Set

I was wonderin if there is a Mental Mind set for race day. Your race plan, and how to get pressure off. How to prepare for the race before hand ??? :):):p

You have to be mentally bad ass to win man. U have to get yourself pumped. A lot of times im just kind of in a neutral mood not excited. I gotta get myself revved up. I listen to some songs i like and tell myself im gonna win. You have to be 100% positive and tell yourself your gonna win. Work hard during the week and go in confident. If u dont put in the time dont think your going to do good. good luck.

Before the race, just remeber that you have done it before, you practiced it a crap load of times, and that you will do it again. Before the race just have a fun time, revv up your bike and hit that $h!t !! Good Luck Bro. :)

i like to, when im sitting on the line, grab my bars, and compress/decompress my front suspension, and shake myself around

gets me pumped

Before the race, just remeber that you have done it before, you practiced it a crap load of times, and that you will do it again. Before the race just have a fun time, revv up your bike and hit that $h!t !! Good Luck Bro. :)

Click on the Gary Semics banner ad at the top of the page, and check out his video on "What to do on race day". I don't have that video (I have most of the others), but I'd bet that it would have some really good tips for you. His video on Developing the Pro Style (I think that's the title...) definitely has some good motivational stuff on it.

:)

I find that I ride my best when I'm pissed. It makes me ride a little over my head, but it definately makes me faster. So I try to think of something that pisses me off. :)

I used to agree with those that say getting pumped or pissed off is a good thing to do before a race.

1. Breathe- sounds funny but do you know how many people forget to breathe when they are riding. Instant arm pump. Most people hold their breath almost all the way to the first turn. Bad stuff.

2. Relax- not relax like you are sitting on the couch watching NASCAR, but relax and get yourself focused. Being pumped or pissed will get you just that, riding over your head, arm pump, bad judgment, etc. Take a second to get your mind on your business, get in your own world and do what you need to do.

3. In most amateur events, the winner is not the fastest guy lap per lap, but the guy who can ride hard without wearing himself out, pumping up, crashing, etc. Train a bit to be sure that you can go 5-6 laps at your best speed. That will elminate a variable, you know you can go the distance. Then you are one up on the rest of the guys.

4. Find your focus- No, not some zen thing but keep your distractions to a minimum. Remember, this isn't a tea party and you are there to beat as many guys as possible. This starts in the garage. The only thing you should do to your bike on raceday is to set the air pressure, release the air in the forks, make small suspension adjustments if required and that is it. Put gas in it and ride. Working on your bike at the track sucks.

5. NO WASTED ENERGY!!!!!- don't get into anything on the track that requires you to waste energy. Bad lines, riding behind slower riders, etc. Make good decisions.

When I am sitting on the line, I could probably go to sleep I am so relaxed. I am loose and not tense on the bike and i am ready to go. When the gate drops, same thing, relaxed and down to business. While everyone else is riding nutso, I am methodical, making good decisions, taking good lines, not wearing myself out. Works for me most of the time. It also allows me to run three classes during the Texas summer without a problem.

I know this is different from what most people say, but 17 years of racing and doing it their way has proven to me that it doesn't work

James