Sign in to follow this  

Question About Exhust Pipe

I have seen other people mention grinding the inside bore of the header pipe. I am a little unsure what they are talking about. Anyone have a picture that shows what needs to be done? Would really appreciate it.

are you talkin about them taking out the baffles?? like the metal plates inside? if so then i guess that adds some power and makes it louder.

Not sure. I understand that. Thought I read about some guys grinding down the inside of the header pipe. Might just be I got confused.

On the non-usa model TT-R250's I know there is a header restictor at the end of the header where it meets the silencer; many grind those out but I am not aware of any such restrictors on USA models.

I think he means the part that abuts the head. From my view, it doesn't look like there's any benefit b/c it looks like the thick part is there to sit and seal with the gasket.

I don't have a picture but if you remove the exhaust pipe from the engine and look inside the pipe at the header (the part that bolts to the engine) you will see where the flange is welded to the pipe from the inside of the pipe. The weld partially restricts the exhaust. You can grind the weld down about even with the inside diameter of the pipe to open it up slightly.

My guess is that you wouldn't notice any difference is power for the amount of work it would take to do it.

My guess is that you wouldn't notice any difference is power for the amount of work it would take to do it.
Total working time to R&I the pipe and grind the weld with a die grinder and burr is about 10 minutes. Pulling the carb and port matching the carb adapter to the head takes about a half hour. Both mods I would guess don't do much, but those little things add up. It's kind of like a 1/4lb here and a 1/2lb there when lightening the bike. Every little bit helps.