Sign in to follow this  

Michelin M-12 REAR Tire/ Ever actually use one?

I'm not trying to start another useless tire thread. :) But I want to hear feedback from anyone who has ACTUALLY USED the REAR Michelin M-12 Intermediate tire. :)

I normally use S-12's in the rear/ M-12 front but have been destroying rear tire on loose rocky terrain prematurely. I've used Intermediates that held up well but the tread depth is normally shorter or shallow on intermediates compared to the S-12 and the M-12 rear looks good in photos but for some reason it seems to get bad feedback. I can't imagine Michelin making a bad tire in a market they should be leading in.

I have one on my 230 which is a totally different animal but I really liked the M12. Its got some massive tread blocks that do infact resist tearing on hard pack.

I tried the M12 rear, and I didn't really care for it. Not so much the wear, but it just never really felt hooked up. While it was never really TERRIBLE, it was never really great either.

That's just my take. I usually use the 756 when I"m going to run into different types of dirt. It wears pretty quickly, but it really hooks up.

~Tex

'05 YZF

'04 RMZ

Have you also looked into the MH2/MH3 starcross?

Tex, I have a pair of 739's if you want to buy them off me. They have 20 hours on them, no chunking, just the knobs rounded off and the front looks new. Reason I changed um is I put on MS2's.

I am on my 3rd set of M-12s and love them,I ride a combination of sandy single track,and hard packed rocky mountain trails,They wear well and hook up great.100% better than the stock Dunlops.

I tried the M12 rear, and I didn't really care for it. Not so much the wear, but it just never really felt hooked up. While it was never really TERRIBLE, it was never really great either.

This was my take on it also. I also thought the wear was a little premature. I use MH2's and won't use any other unless they've stopped making them. I don't know if they make an 18" mh2, though. My experience on the s12 rear, correct sized, was hard pack will chunk the knobs in short order. Others have used the next size up rear where the knobs are beefier and say the chunking problem goes away.

The michelins are ok if you want a "in-between" size tire. I'll never use a Michilin front tire again though. Who wants a skinny front tire, that sinks and cuts into the sand, and has a soft, low profile sidewall to give you flats and ding your rims?

I'm just speaking of the m-12 and s-12, never used the ms2 and mh2.

I decided to try both an M12 front and Rear last summer. The M12 front chunked worse than the S12 did but it worked fairly well. As for the M12 rear, I gave it away after 3 rides. It has really big lugs but they are all in the same row. The straight line traction was good but on a side hill it was very slippery. I crashed down a steep chute because it didn't hold on the side.

S12 all the way for me :)

Sorry I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing other peoples tire choice. :)

I used a pair of digital calipers and compared the m-12 tire carcass to a dunlop 739, dunlop k490, and another bridgestone tire. All were 80/100-21 tires. I forgot what the exact readings were, but the difference was substantial, both in width and profile. Next time you are in a shop with Michilins and other tires, just stand the tires up side by side. You'll notice imediately that a Dunlop stands about a half inch higher, making it's profile about a quarter inch taller. The width is a little less obvious, but after you measure it there is about an eighth inch difference in the tire carcass.

I used Michilins for a few years before realizing all of this. The front tires do stick to the dirt really well, but the lower profile makes the bike stink bug if you don't push the forks down in the triple clamps a little bit. Also, the narrow tire seems to sink down into the soft dirt a little more and cut under a little easier. This may actually help traction, I don't know. They do seem to bite really well. I just like the way the bigger tires float over the ground a little more.

Another thing about the Michilins is that they are softer. Ever notice how easy they are to install? This probably helps with traction also, but makes the tube more prone to pinch-flat, and the rims more prone to dinging.

The irony of all this is that I just put a new Michiline M-12 on my bike the other week. It had been sitting in my shop for a couple of years and I though what the hell. After pushing my forks down a little and getting used to riding it, it's no big deal. But I doubt I'll ever by one again. At least not for the front.