Sign in to follow this  

Sag

I just set the Race Sag and Free Sag on my 250f and wanted to know if these numbers were good for me. I am about 175 pounds with gear on and ride woods and trails. For my Free Sag I have .75 inches(19.05mm) and for my Race Sag I got 3.75 inches(95.25mm). Have I missed anything here? I know the race sag should be 95-100mm right? I' not to sure about the free sag? Steve.

Try getting a little more sag. Maybe 98mm. I like a lot of sag, but that is just for the desert. I have mine set to 109mm, but I like my rear really low for the sand. In the woods, you will want an agressive riding position, but you also want to be able to stab the clutch and lift the front wheel over rocks and logs. Just play with it for a while and decide what you like most. Adjust it in... oh, lets say 4mm increments. Remember what you like the most and go back to that setting once it slowly gets worse. What will help you decide is going through the same section a couple of times after adjusting it and then decide what you like best.

It looks about right, and the comparison between race and static is good. 3.75 is fine. You can try moving around and see if you like one setting better than another. It's also interesting to check it at different ambient temps, and before and after riding to note the differences. You may want to re-set to strike a balance.

It would be hard to do by yourself. I would have a friend help you out with the measuring and make sure you have the bike on a stand before you try to undo the rings on the rear suspension. They come off alot easier then if it was on the ground as I found out. Other then that check out this site http://www.4strokes.com/tech/racesag.asp that should help you out.

Is there a technique for setting the sag by yourself?

Yes...........a "sagsetter.":worthy:

Sagsetter

Not to sound like a salesman, but that thing, although it IS expensive, is great. Turns it into a one man (or woman :) ) job. Really nice when you are playing with settings and changing your sag a lot. If you can't handle the price, find a buddy to go in on it with you!

I bought mine through thumpertalk. :)