Sign in to follow this  

New to Me ATK 490 DS

Hi guys, I am new to this forums although I have searched it often. I recently put a deposit on a 99 ATK 490 dual sport. This bike is in great shape and has only 213.7 miles on it! I was looking for some feedback from everyone for two reasons. Are there any specific problems I should look for before taking final receipt of the bike. And secondly, how do you think this bike will compare to a DRZ400E with a dual sport kit? My good friend just picked one of these up. I am not worried about racing or have a "better" bike just want to make sure I will be able to stay close. Thanks for any help and/or advice. ~josh

a 490 should be a smaller displacement version of the rotax(austrian) 4-stroke motor, correct? the good news is this is one of the most reliable motors ever made and every hop-up part possible is made (wood rotax, atk, etc) since this motor was flatracked for many years and used a lot of other places (80's ktm, ccm, mz, new matchless, etc.).

the bad news is it's a heavy bike compared to the suzuki and i'm not sure how a 490 runs compared to a 605 which is what most of the atk's were.

don't worry, though, if you paid a fair price you've got a great bike that will be fun and run forever. riding with someone else always comes down to riding skill anyway. check atk on ebay or cycle trader to see others like yours, though the 490 is rare. have fun. call atk themselves and ask about 490's if in doubt. i almost bought one here in colorado a couple months ago, you can't go wrong, it's real quality even if heavy. mikey

Josh,

Boy, have you made a mistake! You can't justify spending tons of money on your bike, 'cause it already has all the "good" stuff. You won't be able to fiddle with the bike after each ride 'cause they don't break. When you make mistakes riding, you won't come home with "war stories", 'cause the dirt ability is so good that it will (usually) keep you out of trouble! Ya, you are going to be bored sick! And, you just got a bike that weighs the same as your buddie's DRZ400s but has more premium equipment on it and is much more capable in the dirt as well as out performing his. And, you paid a LOT less than he did! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. That is what I expected to hear. I dont think the weight is too bad considering it has e-start and is a factory dual sport. Sitting on it actually felt good, I feel like the center of gravity is low on the bike (no radiators maybe). Anyways I will keep you updated once I pick the bike up. ~josh

grind it on to DRZ400S, XR650L, DR650 owners what heavy bikes they have, hehe, compared to your bike.

change the timing belt once a year, even with low miles, its cheap and easy, make sure the counter sprocket key doesnt get loose.

I just got into the ATK game myself, and ditto the cam belt advise - very easy to do. One other word of advise is that you will find very few grease zirks on the bike - ATK made nearly everything with sealed bearings. I found one zirk too late - the one at the speedo sending unit on the axle of the front wheel - and nearly lost the unit as a result. Take a look and be sure to grease that up.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will be sure to replace the timing belt on a regular schedule, and keep on eye on that fitting. I will definately order a shop manual, probably direct from ATK. ~josh