Sign in to follow this  

DNF caused by poor prep,, and a flake of alumnium

A small flake of aluminum, most likely a byproduct of the manufacturing process of my nice new FCR,, lodged in a main jet, cost me a fun filled 7 lap GP race.

When I set up the new carb,, I only needed to replace the main,, so did not remove the float bowl.. just the plug...

Bike started are ran great with me base line jetting.

Loaded up the bikes and off we went to WA for the 2005 Frostbite GP, put on by a local WA club.

This was to be the boys first race,, and my first since October.

Off the line I went,, getting a mid pack start. Lead group went in to a tangle at the first corner,, I went around,, and found myself in the lead pack :lame: Not bad for a slow old fat guy on a DRZ... Around the MX track we went,,, then off in to the woods.... Held my own for that section,, till we got caught behind a few riders stuck on a hill climb.... Nobody was going any where while the 4 or 5 on the hill got straightened out.. A few did blast pass me,,,,, on mostly off the established course,, and past the stuck riders.. Officials came along and made the stuck guys get off the course,, The rest of us,, went up the hill...... then it hit..... bike would idle,, but give it gas,,, and it would bog,, stall....or just not run worth a darn,, Off to the side of the trail,,, and I checked vac lines,, moved the petcock to res,,, laid the bike over,, so I could see fuel dump from the carb vent lines,,ok,, fuel is getting to the carb :lame::):):p:D Start the bike,, and she is purring,, whack the throttle,, and it smartly revs out,,,,Off I go,,, two turns later,, and the sputter, bog, stall is back... This went on for the remainder of the first lap.. Once back to the start finish line (an hour later for a 18 minute lap) I had had enough and pushed the bike back to the truck :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::cry:

The boys race was a great success... mom was all grins as I suppose was I :lame: The older kids rode most of the same course we did,,, AFTER it had been torn up :D

Waterboy held his own for a first time out..riding with KX100, Yz85's and a few KTM85sx's// turning in the full two laps with a 12th place of 23 :D:o;):D And that with a chain that popped off,, mid lap.. and having to wait for a marshall (unknown hero,, who I wish I could thank :lame: ) to help him get the chain back on.... :D

That was last weekend.

I've been out of town all week, and just today,, started tracking down my bikes problems.

Pulled the carb,, and found a flake of aluminum,, proably flashing lodged in the main jet :lol:

Had I properly prepped the bike,, and the new bits I installed.... It would not have happened.

Probably a good lesson for all of the guys doing the dynojet kit on their DRZs. Most of us end up stripping at least one float bowl screw, and resort to drilling. At a minimum, you have to drill out the plug over the pilot air screw.

Be sure to cover every opening with tape before you start drilling. Then, use a vacuum, brush, Q-tips, etc. to get rid of every last bit of the metal shavings, and inspect the whole carb carefully before you button it back up.

Oh, and Q-tips worked good on the outside surfaces because the shavings stick to them, but don't use 'em inside the carb or you will leave lint fibers in the carb that will clog a jet.

That sucks good story though. I would love to go see one of those mud fests up north..... I bet it was better this year copared to last as all the rain is down here.

Bronco...how much better is the FCR when jetted and running correctly than the Mikuni in your opinion? Shall I start saving my change? :)
I'm no Bronco But I will say yes its time to start saving!

Bronco...how much better is the FCR when jetted and running correctly than the Mikuni in your opinion? Shall I start saving my change? :)

Better,,,, and even more so if you plan power upgrades to the motor,, cams, up the CR, bigger bore, ect ect

Dang! I'm gettin' sucked in deeper and deep since I started hangin' around with you guys! 'Course, I knew the answer before I asked but just had to hear it from you. Is the FCR harder to jet for my elevations? 3000' to 8000'? Most riding done 5000' to 6500'...Thanks for your considerable input. Glad my kid is done with college, the house and cabin paid for as well as the Tundra & 4-Runner...it's only money :) right?! Thanks I think... :)

I bought my 13 yr. old a YZ 80 during last summer, and we did our MX race last weekend. It wa a lot of fun! I rode one race on my heavy DRZ and it was much harder than I thought it would be! I have new respect for ALL those that compete. It looks much easier than it really is, especially for an old guy way past his prime!!