Sign in to follow this  

Horrible Lesson

Hell yes. Whenever I stop at a light I always have my eyes pinned on the car stopping behind me. If hes not stopping, I'm taking off.

Always stop to one side of the lane or the other. If you are in the middle the driver has no way to avoid you.

This is one reason why lane splitting the stopped traffic isn't such a bad idea--it gets you out of the way of the cars behind you.

I agree, and would like to add that cars should be used as a means to block other cars.

In my experience I have learned that the best piece of safety equipment is that thing between your ears.

Hope this guy is okay.

DaveJ

oh man, this hits really close to home. just two weeks ago i was coming home from losing a traffic ticket fight and this almost happened to me.

i was tooling down woodside rd going west on my way home, this is a big blvd like street with 2 lanes each way and most people going like 45mph. i was splitting traffic and some crappy toyota van who had his left turn signal on and was moving in that direction changed his mind and almost swerved into me as he decide he wanted to turn right instead of left. i avoid him and threw up my hand in the "&%$#@!!" jesture, not the FU jesture.

then about mile later i came to a light and was alone in the right lane. it was a T intersection with the dead end to my right so traffic was coming only from my left. i was listening to my ipod (which was one of the things i had been ticketed for :) ) but as always i rely more on my eyes when riding a moto so i kept looking between the light and my rear view since there as still no car behind me. then, all of the sudden i look back and her comes the same toyota van -FAST-. i look left, see no cars and i punch it thru the red light. as i take off i look in my rear view again and this van is smoking all four tires trying to stop. then he turns right and drives off the road down a steep embankment into some trees!

doesn't matter what's in your ears, just what's in between them.

cheers

droo

I agree, and would like to add that cars should be used as a means to block other cars.

this may be true, but take care not to get sandwiched between two cars. i always split the light in traffic, or stop behind a car at the very left with bike pointing towards the middle. this way i always have an out and don't have to worry about HUGE lincoln navigator pushing a little 5 speed civic in sitting in N with no brakes and crushing me in to the Escalade in front of me.

Man that sucks, looks like he saw it & stood up at the last second.

The driver of that truck should be beaten. I watch my mirror a lot.

Jeez! That's terrible. He wasn't going slow by any means! Right in front of a cop and on video! He got his, I'm sure!

One love,

Dan

another reason I chose to only ride in the dirt this season.

Try just being out on a highway at 75 mph. Last year on 395 somebody on a streetbike got creamed from behind by some zombie in a SUV with the cruise set at 90.

I've got a semi-slow internet connection, and watching that load pic by pic was like torture. Yeah, looks like it saw it coming at the last second. Watch your mirrors and be ready to get your (m)ass out of the way.

That's why I always leave it in gear at lights, you never know when you need to move. It kills me to see guys stopped with their hands on their hips.

All good tips from you guys but I hope the dude in the truck gets some major jail time.

That sucks, hurt to watch that video. I'm with Lightning, always keep it in gear and keep your eye's and ears pinned. Another reason I have a Dual Purpose bike I hate the thought of becoming road pizza, I try to keep the odds low. Just connect to the trails and short little hops, you never know what these people in these 2 ton behemoths are thinking or doing. :)

I hope he survived

This is an issue regardless of what you ride or drive. I have been involved in only two accidents in 30 some years of driving and both times I was hit from behind while I was stationary at a stop light. The only thing I can say, it is better to be hit while in a truck than on a bike. Just a lot of jerks out there.

did you see how late he got on the brakes? Just imagine if you had been going through the intersection when this dumbfck decided watching the cop car on the side of the road was the most important thing to pay attention to.

I HATE riding in traffic.I only live 4 miles from work ,have two bikes with plates,but only ride to work maybe a couple time a year.Back roads only for me. :)

I dont like traffic either... I stay off the freeway, and the highway because of all the deer.

I dont mind zipping around town though,,, in fact I think it is alot of fun. The only problem is you can never really relax, cant daydream, and cant drink at all.