Sign in to follow this  

Xr350?

Someone is selling and older xr350 1984 or 1985 something like that, I don't know much about bikes of those years, and really have not heard of this bike before, does anyone know if they are good bikes or not or even if it really is a 350, I don't mean to sound dumb, but it's not a bad price if it is a good bike, thanks in advance.

The 1985 XR350 is very similar to the Xr400. The earlier years were not as good as the '85. Unfortunately Honda quit making them after '85 and we had to wait till '96 for the 400. Now they quit making it. The '85 has a single carb, and earlier years had problematic dual carbs. If it's a '85 and in good shape, go for it. The worst thing for these bikes is running low or dirty oil, then the cam and cam bearings are first to go. Old tech things you will find on the '85 vs the XR400 include a drum rear brake, damper rod front forks, more frame flex. None of these will stop you from having fun.

seeing as my friend has 1985 xr350 and i have a xr400. the only similar thing on these bikes is the engine. as far as ride ablility and suspension, frame geometry and such. the xr350 is out dated and cannot be ridden nearly as fast. another downside is a very little after markets part pool for the xr350. a great bike when it came out but if your demanding any kind of performance out of the bike. dont expect much.

They were great bikes for their time, I had an 83 xr350 and an xr500. It won't feel like your newer xr250 and certainly not like your KTM. But if the price is right..

the xr350 is out dated and cannot be ridden nearly as fast. another downside is a very little after markets part pool for the xr350. a great bike when it came out but if your demanding any kind of performance out of the bike. dont expect much.

That's the same thing people that own WR's, CRF's, and KTM's all say about my XR400, yet I still pass a lot of them in the woods.

If the original question was will the 350 outperform the newer bikes he owns, then of course not. It would be a good low buck back up or loner bike, or a cheap first bike.

Imagine how much fun it would be to pass a $7K bike on a 20 year old XR. :)

"seeing as my friend has 1985 xr350 and i have a xr400. the only similar thing on these bikes is the engine. as far as ride ablility and suspension, frame geometry and such. the xr350 is out dated and cannot be ridden nearly as fast"

Mr Pete,

If you ever get out west please bring your stock XR 400 and I will show you what a 85 XR 350 will do. Tight single track or open desert.

I feel the 85 was the best of this series of XR's.

Mr. wenative, More info here: www.xr350.com

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Corky :):)

Corky,

Nice web site. I always liked the 350, and love my 400. Now Honda quit making it too. At least the 400 had an 9 year run.

The older Xr's had that cool odometer and a 6 speed trans.

"seeing as my friend has 1985 xr350 and i have a xr400. the only similar thing on these bikes is the engine. as far as ride ablility and suspension, frame geometry and such. the xr350 is out dated and cannot be ridden nearly as fast"

Mr Pete,

If you ever get out west please bring your stock XR 400 and I will show you what a 85 XR 350 will do. Tight single track or open desert.

I feel the 85 was the best of this series of XR's.

Mr. wenative, More info here: www.xr350.com

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Corky :):p

well rider ability does play a large factor in your opinion. yes im sure you can find some newbie with a crf450 that you can blow by on your xr350. the same goes for any kind of bike. rider ablity plays a HUGE roll in everything. this being said last weekend when we were out and switched bikes for a lap around the woods. needless to say my friend will be selling his 350 as soon as he gets a nice 400. his reasoning being he could not believe that after 3 years on his xr350 how much faster he was able to ride my bike his very first time on it. im sure i could ride much faster laps on a crf450 than i could on my xr400. im sure you find out the same thing if you actully gave a newer bike a chance instead insisting that your old bike is faster and better designed than a newer one. be real :)

Mr. Pete,

What you missed in my posting was "STOCK XR 400"

Have a good and ride safely!!

Corky :):)

Way back when I was in school, I had a beat up PE250 and though I was pretty fast. Then my roommate got an 85 XR350. All I ever got to see of it was roost. Nowadays, I would say the 350 is outdated, but I would still call it better than a "play" bike. If the condition and price are right, buy that piece of history and enjoy it.

PD

Well i restored an 83 XR350

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/lost1byte/XR350_new/welcome_to_my_web_site.htm

It took me all winter to get it all done. It was ready to ride by spring. Its a good nimble bike and if you get a dual carb model then just make sure to the cars are cleaned very good and have new o-rings and such. THen get some jetting tips from XR's only and you will like it.

The dual carbs got rid of that pesky off idle bog as well as some serious top end gas guzziling capability. It is hard to find parts but alot of the parts can be used from other bikes if needed.

Very dependable if kept full of clean oil. They run hot but will run all day. I wish I never sold it.

Last fall I picked up a very good condition XL350 (dual carb like the '84XR). I hadn't had I bike since I lived in Oregon on the dunes, and I thought that it would be fun to have something I could ride around town and maybe do a little dirt riding. That was the worst thing I did.... I know got the dirt-bike bug back and I hope to get a new bike and to keep this one as a backup. It is very reliable, runs great, easy to start, and easy to ride and keeps up with everybody. If the price works for you and it is not beat up, it is a good bike to have a blast on (like I am having now) or to have as a loaner that anybody could hop on, ride easy and have plenty of power to go wherever.

I have a 1985 XR350, I would like a stiffer rear spring, I'm a big ol'e Dad on my xr. My jumping days are gone. but I still would like a little more travel when I'm trial riding. I'm a just over 260lbs with my gear on?

Racetech has nothing for this bike.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Ken D.

Just wanted to offer a little insight about this XR discussion as I grew up riding them. My first bike was a 1985 XR200R with the dual carb set up. I acsolutely loved the bike. Then again, I was 14 and probably would have loved any bike.

My next bike was a 1984 XR500R. I loved the 500 because of the tractor like torque which was enough to lift the front end and made woods riding a breeze with that fluffy big seat. The main thing to be careful with these bikes is monitoring the oil level.

Currently I ride an XR650R. I absolutely love it despite the weight of the bike because I am small (5' 9" 162 lbs.) And to be honest, I think the 500 had close to the amount of tourque, just not as refined in terms of suspension and frame design.

I also recently met a younger kid who purchased a 1984 XR350R and he is having trouble with finding the proper jetting combination. Are there any web sites which contain such information? Thanks.

Geoff

The '85 XR350 ROCKS! The XR400 has better forks and more torque, but that's about it.

Parts availability is getting interesting but it's still a great bike.

I have owned two different 85 XR350s. One was nearly stock and the other was a highly modified by XRs Only. The stock motor held together for many years while the highly modified motor's tranny fell apart relatively early. They were a great bike for its time but I would not buy one now just because the price is right. The tranny is weak link on all 85s. I would recm looking around for any 86 or newer XR250 if money is tight. If you can swing it then get a 96 or newer XR250 or XR400.

I bought one new in 85 it was awesome for its time, never had a single problem out of it. Dirt Rider wrote it up as bulletproof. I sold it in 91 for $300 less than I paid for it,and got an XR600 as a step up. They were cool bikes back then.

Is a newer XR 250 more comparable in power to the 83-85 XR 350 then the 80's XR 250's?

Actually from what I've heard a dual-carb XR250 will actually smoke a newer XR250!