XR400 vs KDX220

I no this is a four stroke forum,but would like some opinions..I'll be riding kinda rocky,muddy trails mainly 2nd and 3rd gear type. I'm 31yrs old 5'10 205lbs and looking for realiable,good maintance history and FUN...I don't jump or motocross.which bike is the better choice..also I read in this forum that the XR had some frame problems(cracking and or rusting) is this true..

Thanks Frank

My friend has a KDX220 and I've got a gordoned XR280 and we keep up with each other. With the rocky trails I'd go with the XR400, its got a ton of low-end. Make sure you test ride each, then make your decision.

Very tough choice. I have owned both. Might come down to price. Also if you change alltitude a lot the xr will need less jetting. Kdx is a little lighter. For a two stroke the KDX has a lot of low end but still not in the XR class of low end grunt and smoothness in the technical stuff. I think the front end of the Kdx is lighter and easier to loft over obstacles and the KDX may have the overall better suspension. Very tough choice if you are not a die hard four stroke rider. Both excellent bikes. Good luck

I would say go with the xr400. I have a 98 and I jump it and been through some stuff and I havent had any problems with the frame. I heard for people who do nothing but huge jumps, the frame cracks in some places. Also if you start on the kick stand it breaks sometimes. Never had any problems with mine. Like others have put there is a huge aftermarket supply for the XR so if you need to improve in an area, there will be a product to change it to the way you like. Still I heard the kdx220 is a nice bike once you get the it sorted out. I heard it has super soft suspension and needs a fmf pipe do actully run. The kdx220 is to xr400 as cr250 is to crf450 in many ways prob. ?

Just plain and simply put I believe Honda builds a better quality bike overall regardless if its a CR versus KX or KDX versus XR.

MAR that should in TIME magazine as quote of the century!

and frankt, if you want low maintainence go with the XR400. if rocky conditions go with the XR. you'll get better bite because its heavier and the power comes on nice and smooth

Ive owned and raced both a 2000 kdx200 with fredette porting and xr250 / gordened etc. The kdx feels lighter than the xr250 and a lot lighter than the xr400. kdx dry weight and fmf pipe and slincer is 226 lbs. For trail riding both are great bikes but the kawi req's more aggresive style for sure. The xr wont wear you out as quickly . Both are super..One thought on the 2stk/ 4srk thing . Ive ridden with Fredette who is now on a kx250f some of the time and had this to say..." if your racing full tilt 100% it really doesnt matter which bike your on,,either 2 or 4 stroke will wear you out about the same. But if you back off a little, the 4 stk is less tireing for sure. With the 4 stk every time the piston goes down, the bike moves forward . The biggist thing on either type engine is to keep hooked up with the ground " I asked him if he would take a kx250f to the six days he said " When i entered this year (2005) i didnt think twice, ill take the 200. Kawi's 250f wont hold up". This form a 23 time ISDE guy.. I dont think he's ever dnf'ed either.

Also, one thing to look at there is little very little aftermarket support for the KDX line and quite a bit for the XR line.

To me thats always important. I sold my 04 KLX300 simply because there was NO aftermarket support for it.

Not having any aftermarket support is bad and no fun

I beg to differ.

There is a large KDX following and lots of aftermarket. The KLX300 however, for some unknown reason, is more obscure and less well supported in the aftermarket. It's too bad too--I'm going to have to bore my XR250 to keep from getting bored. I'd actually just switch to a KDX, but at my age I just don't trust myself to handle the 2-stroke hit anymore. I want to in my mind, but the body just won't carry it out. That's why I ride a respectable wife bike like the XR250.

?

I welded a patch on the frame of Trailryder42s (a frequent cruiser of this forum) frame the other day. He had a pinhole right by the kickstand in the thick part of the frame where it turns up toward the subframe. His is a 2000 and my son has a 2000 and shows no signs of frame problems. Go figure. Personally I dont think it is a common problem.

LOL (funny but, true)

So, you are saying you think the KDX has the aftermarket support the XR's do?

Places that cater soley to the KDX vs the XR's?

We can have a contest I will place a bet I can list more specialty places that cater to the XR Honda over the KDX Kaw.

I am talking bike specific not places that in general that carry parts.

If by your definition "aftermarket" only pertains to engine shops there are undoubtedly more for XRs since they seem to need more mods out of the box than the KDX. There are lots of aftermarket parts and accessories for the KDX. We've put a few hundred in simple bolt-ons on a KDX and it is a wheelie pullin' animal. If we decide to get engine mods done, at least there are places that do it--and do it well. It's no worse than sending away an XR250 motor for a 300 kit. ?

Actually The kdx is a result of evolution like the xr line. But it is much more competitive right out of the box. Fredette porting and it will run right with a ktm200. superlight and perimeter frame.. There isnt that much to modify so there isnt so many aftremarket parts. ?

I ride with a guy with a KDX220, with some mods.

I really dont like the suspension and brakes. The thing dives, and it makes going downhill really hard.

I dont like the seat, its too soft. The ergos dont fit.

The bike makes good low end power, but cant rev worth a dang. A rev pipe on the 220 may help a little, its got a gnarly now.

I like my bike a lot more ?