Sign in to follow this  

dumb question of the day #2

i understand the 250f accelerates faster than the 125 but doesnt the 125 have a higher top speed ? if i remeber right the 250f is only around 65 which is dissapointing. top speed doesnt matter on the track but when i go to sand pits i love to fly.

Just because the 125 has one more gear, that doesn't mean that it is faster than a 250f in any means. The reason the 125 has one more gear is because if it doesn't have the torque to move only five gears without major clutch work. It's the same reason that (older) big rigs have 10+ gears. They only have the power in 2000-4000 rpms, so they need more gears to get them up to speed with such a short powerband. That is a big statement, especially because the new KTM 250sxf and the Husky TE/TC250 are both six speeds. It is the same reason the YZ450 has 4 gears. It has such a wide powerband and so much torque that it can accelerate and top out way faster than a YZ250F without breaking a sweat. The YZ250F tops at about 70, but that is pushing it. You could keep her at a steady 60 easy by getting on it hard for a couple of seconds, and then pulling in the clutch for about fifteen seconds then repeating. Without a steering stabilizer, you won't be able to go any faster than that safely because the handlebars will easily get pulled out of your hands. But once you have a stabilizer, that 70mph top speed will start to get on your nerves. Trust me, it happened to me.

ooh i didnt know the 125's needed 6 gears, guess yamaha was being an idiot when they gave the yz125 a 5 gear transmission for all those years. well, i guess they're smart this year when they gave it a 6 speed, right?

thanks i never thought of it that way. but why does the 70mph get on your nerve with the stabalizer ? thanks again

When the bike is so solid and doesn't feel that the bars are being taken from your hands, you think you can go faster. Well, you can't. 70mph is on a flat, dirt, and sand free hardpack road in the desert. It doesn't usually bother me, but when I have a big-bore thumper pass me at 80mph and I want to catch up to it and I can't, it really get annoying. By the way ttr125smms120, the reason Yamaha didn't put that extra gear in the past couple of years, is because they didn't change the size of the tranny or make a complete new engine, so the extra gear wouldn't fit or it wouldn't work well with the characteristics of the old engine.

if you wanna get the extra top speed out of your yz you can always change the sprockets around.

Here you go! :)